Recipe Collection: Mint Extract

admin August 1, 2013

Mint is yummy.  I like to combine it with chocolate in desserts, add it to ice cream, and so on.  A few drops of this could be added to tea or water for an upset tummy, too!  The extract is a simple and delicious way to preserve that minty goodness.

Ingredients:

• 1 1/2 c. fresh mint leaves
  • 2 c. vodka

Directions:

Gather your mint.  I let mine sit a little too long so it’s kind of wilted and drying.

I selected the best leaves and put them in a pint-sized glass jar.

Pour the vodka in to fill the jar.

Cover it and put it in a cool, dry place for a few weeks.

What do you use mint extract for?

Start Your Healthier Life Ebook!

Start_your_healthier_life_smaller

Ready to get started living a healthier life? This complete, 50-page guide will walk you through the steps, product swaps, recipes, and more that you need to get started today!

Powered by ConvertKit

1. I love making my own extracts. I recently started making vanilla extract for my family members and I can’t wait to try this out!

2. Are there ways to make without alcohol ? My husband is “dry” 30-plus years now, and hates to see alcohol in the house. If he sees it go in a recipe that gets cooked, he still won’t eat it! Any ideas?

3. Is it still alcohol? Can it make you drunk?

• Every “extract” is alcohol based. And yes, if you were to drink one in a full glass, it could make you drunk, but you wouldn’t like the taste- I don’t think even alcoholics would like the taste. Many things, even mouthwashes (as well as the most common- vanilla) contain alcohol; it is a natural disinfectant and preservative. Extracts are intended solely as a flavoring, meaning to be used in quantities from a few drops to a teaspoon or so. The alcohol both leaches the flavor from and preserves the herb or fruit it contains, provided that every bit of that herb remains UNDER the surface of the alcohol.

4. My question exactly… I have plenty of mint and I know I have vodka (i usually use it for disinfecting areas that can’t be washed after a stomach bug), but what do you do with it??? Wouldn’t want to make it without a purpose.

• Use it in coffee, hot cocoa, baking (brownies), homemade marshmallows. Anything that you want a mint flavor. I buy peppermint extract in the stores to use for the above things, but making it would be so much better!

• You could use it for anything you’d want to add a mint flavoring. Just like vanilla extract, you only use a little.

5. yes, it’s still alcoholic…as is the vanilla extract you buy at the store, which is made the same way.

6. Mmmm.. We love mint extract for our coffee and hot cocoa!

Do you think you could use dried (in the dehydrator) mint?

I might have to get some vodka to give this a try before my mint is gone!

7. Does the mint need to be dried first or may I use it straight from the garden? I use mint in some Christmas cookies or a special chocolate mint coffee or shake. A few drops in coffee or tea is refreshing. It is still alcohol and could make you drunk but not the tiny amount used for flavoring. Vanilla and most other flavorings are made with alcohol. My mother in law was sober for the last 17 years of her life and used vanilla/peppermint extract in baked goods but never used wine or anything in quantity in her cooking. It just wasn’t worth the risk.