Categories

Right, so, “teething cream” sounds super weird.  No?  But here’s the thing.  You can buy teething gel at the store.  I’m not entirely sure how to make a gel at home with safe ingredients…nor am I sure that it’s the most effective idea.

But last week we ran out of teething tablets.  They started putting child proof caps on the Hyland’s brand stuff, but who are they kidding…both my 2.5 and 4 year olds can pop that thing off like it’s nothing.  And if they do, and we don’t catch them immediately, they eat some.  Those tablets are lactose-based and they are sweet.  The kids know they are medicine but they will tell stories to get some: “I’m sick!  I’m teething!  I NEED MEDICINE!”  We have tried to keep them up high, but they are often sitting on my nightstand since that is where I use them most (at night, for the baby).  I ask a kid during the day to go fetch a diaper, not remembering they are sitting right there…and next thing I know, they’ve eaten 2 or 3 or 5.  (No, this can’t and hasn’t made them sick.)  Anyway, the point is, the teething tablets were gone.

Even though we have an amber teething necklace, which the boys wear 24/7 (although Daniel is no longer teething, he just likes it), there are still random times when the pain is enough to make Jacob edgy and restless, which makes for a poor night’s sleep.  Teething tablets have been the perfect answer to take away whatever dull ache or slight pain that keeps him up at night.  And then we ran out.

Creative genius that I am (ha?), I thought, “What can I use at home to help him?”  Because I did not want to run to the store.  I remembered that clove essential oil is good for teething pain, and I had that.  But what to pair with it….  Several minutes of brainstorming later, and one quick search for an ingredient I haven’t used in months, and I had my answer.

Teething cream.

This formula combines coconut oil, cocoa butter, and clove essential oil for a creamy, stick-to-the-gums, totally edible and safe cream that also happens to relieve pain.  Ideally, use a high quality, edible essential oil.  Very, very little would get to the baby with any given dose though…far less than one drop.  Buy the best you can but don’t worry too much.

Ingredients:

• 1/4 c. coconut oil
  • 1/4 c. cocoa butter (food grade pure, not cocoa butter-based beauty product)
  • 12 drops clove essential oil

Directions:

Add your coconut oil and cocoa butter to a small saucepan.

Place the pan on the stove over low heat until they are just melted.  Add your clove oil and stir well.

Pour into a 4-oz. glass jar and allow to cool completely.  (You can place the jar in the fridge to speed up this process, and can even store it there so the mixture is chilled when you initially give it to the baby.)  Interestingly, if left at room temperature, it stays a liquid.  If you put it in the fridge to solidify then remove it, it becomes a very soft solid.  This was unexpected.  I’d recommend storing it in the fridge so it’s cool for baby, and less messy.

To use, take a tiny amount and massage into the baby’s gums.  This can be used on adults with toothaches, too — it’s not just for babies!  Do be aware that clove oil isn’t safe in pregnancy, though (causes contractions), so don’t use it if you’re expecting.

That’s it!  So simple!

New!

This week I’m starting a series of giveaways that open to all my email subscribers!  Click over to check it out!

**This post has been entered in Monday Mania at The Healthy Home EconomistWildcrafting Wednesday at Mind, Body, Sole, Healthy 2Day Wednesday.**

How do you relieve teething pain in your baby?

Kate is wife to Ben and mommy to Bekah (6.5), Daniel (5), Jacob (3), and Nathan (1.5). She is passionate about God, health, and food. She has written 7 cookbooks and a popular book entitled A Practical Guide to Children's Health. She also recently released Healing With God's Earthly Gifts: Natural and Herbal Remedies, which teaches people to use natural remedies to keep their families healthy. When she's not blogging, she's in the kitchen, sewing, or homeschooling her children.

Like what you just read? Stay in touch with our newsletter!

Email Format

1. Do you know if Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods sells the food grade cocoa butter and if so, which section of the store it would be in?

2. What a simple, handy recipe! I will bookmark this for the future when I have little teethers!

3. This is truly a “”mom-gyver” moment! I love when moms (or dads) fix a problem in their home with sheer ingenuity, frugality, and the stuff on hand. Cheers to you Kate!

4. Kate! I LOVE YOU!!! :-) I’m totally pinning this.

5. I’m so thankful for this recipe! I’ll most definitely be using it when my littlest reaches that joyful stage :) I used teething tablets for my first two but always jump at the chance for something homemade.

6. I tried searching everywhere for clove oil for my son when he started teething (about 9 months ago). A Whole Foods employee cautioned me against using their brand in my son’s mouth/gums because it was was not food grade. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find it elsewhere. Have you ran into this before? Where did you buy yours online? What brand?

• Hi Andrea, I replied to someone above. If you can’t get good quality essential oil, I would take about a tbsp. of whole cloves, crush them, and steep them in the oils on warm for 3 – 4 hours, then strain through cheesecloth or something else that would get out all clove bits. Let that solidify and use as you would any other cream. :)

• Yuo can buy food grade essential oils online at youngliving.com. they have many high grade essential oils on their website.

• There really isn’t such a thing as “food grade” essential oils. It’s just a term that some companies use, even though most EOs shouldn’t be used internally unless under the supervision of a qualified aromatherapist. There are many brands that do not specify they are for internal use but are of the same quality as those who do.

I know there are many different thoughts on EO use, but I usually ere on the side of caution and would also worry about using clove inside the mouth of a little babe. using on the jaw is just as effective, and clove should actually be avoided until after age two. (http://www.learningabouteos.com/index.php/2014/02/07/essential-oils-and-children/)

I much prefer Kate’s other method of using whole cloves and allowing them to steep in oil. I’ve found it works just as well on my DH who was dealing with tooth pain for awhile and tried both clove EO and crushed cloves in oil.

7. P.S. You are awesome! :)

8. amazing! I didn’t find hyland’s tablets until my 3rd and now I buy them for every baby shower and new baby I know. this is fabulous! anything I can make at home makes me happy :)

9. I’ve successfully used ground cloves for teething since my baby first started getting sore gums at about 3 months old. I just wet a clean finger and dip it into the ground cloves then rub it over his gums. It usually stops the pain quickly and I don’t have to worry about him eating essential oils that might have traces of solvents from the extraction process.

• Hi Sarah, thanks for your advice! It is important to be careful which brand of essential oils you choose, for sure. I believe Young Living and DoTerra don’t have solvents (or so they claim). In this case, the amount of essential oils is so tiny (0.5% of the finished cream) that I don’t think a tiny bit in baby’s mouth is dangerous. If you prefer, though, you could put crushed real cloves into the oils and let it steep on warm for 3 – 4 hours (I think about 1 tbsp. of cloves but don’t quote me…I haven’t tried this), strain it, and try that.

10. I love this! I’ve dont clove oil with a carrier oil a few times and wasn’t too happy with it because I didn’t feel like it was helping much. This is a great idea to make it nice and thick to stick! We just started using an amber teething necklace and so far it’s been awesome but next time I need to apply something topical I will try this! thanks!!

11. This Is Awesome I know alot of Parents that will love this, Plus Ill keep it in my books for when we have lil ones teething Keep up the Good Work!

12. [...] spray recipe, I think it’s a great way to calm everyone! This is exactly what every Modern Alternative Mama needs when they have a little one who is teething, I’m going to be sure to save this recipe [...]

13. Love this!! I will be linking up to you tomorrow! Your post made it onto Healthy N Balanced’s top 5 healthy posts this week! :)

14. [...] Homemade Teething Cream- Modern Alternative [...]

15. I haven’t been able to find a food grade cocoa butter. Mountain rose herbs says that theirs is organic and pure but it doesn’t say food grade. Would that be ok?

• Kaila,
      I have the Mountain Rose Herbs organic cocoa butter. I was about to make this, but wanted to double check if it is food-grade. If you click on the link that says “more info”, this is what I found: “Suitable for food and cosmetic use and makes an exquisite ingredient within culinary products, and especially chocolate.” So it is definitely safe to use.

16. [...] I posted a recipe for a homemade teething cream.  If you’re worried about the clove oil, try steeping 1 tbsp. whole cloves in the oil and [...]

17. [...] a quick search, I found this teething cream recipe from Modern Alternative [...]

18. [...] Teething Cream – Recipes like this one include Clove Oil, which helps with teething [...]

19. [...] Homemade Teething Cream @ Modern Alternative Mama – does anyone have a teething little one who could test this out for me?  My little lady only has her 2 year old molars pending, but teething never seemed to bother her anyway. [...]

20. Why do you use the Cocoa butter? Think it would work if I just used the Coconut Oil? My guess is that the Butter is used to dilute the taste of the clove oil…

Thanks!

21. [...] modified the recipe from the original blog though.. I made it with 1/4 cup coconut butter and 6 drops clove oil. I melted the coconut butter [...]

22. [...] teeth, her mom was desperate to give her some relief. That’s when she found this recipe from Modern Alternative Mama. The active ingredient in this cream is all-natural clove oil. Clove oil is a natural pain [...]

23. Based on looking at your lovely pictures above, it looks like you measured out 1/4c of CO and cocoa butter while they were still solid? When a recipe calls for coconut oil I’m always confused if you measure it while solid or measure it when it’s melted. But for this recipe do I fill my 1/4 c measuring cup with solid CO and butter? Bear with me, I’m new to some of this and I’d love to try this recipe!

24. Where is a good place to get the cocoa butter?

25. I am curious as to where you get the cocoa butter and what is the brand?

26. I tested this first on my own gums and can’t seem to taste any clove – I know clove is strong but I would expect if I can’t taste/feel anything I need to add more oil. Thoughts?

27. When I originally commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get several emails with the same comment.

Is there any way you can remove people from that service?
    Cheers!

28. what about using coconut butter instead of cocoa butter, I couldnt find food grade near me?

• I’m not sure what that would do to the texture, but you could try it. Some just use plain coconut oil (I think it is harder to keep on the gums, but it’s certainly fine).

29. Would this be safe to use to relieve the pain of tongue/lip tie revisions?

30. […] mist spray recipe, I think it’s a great way to calm everyone! This is exactly what every Modern Alternative Mama needs when they have a little one who is teething, I’m going to be sure to save this recipe […]

31. […] Here is a homemade Teething Cream from Kate of Modern Alternative Mama […]

32. […] guy suffers big time. I can’t find the recipe for a homemade teething balm that I used, but this is similar. Only instead of clove oil, I used “Germ Fighter”. When he gets extra chewy on his […]