Categories

Image by Bruce Eric Anderson

This post contains affiliate links.

A friend of mine is expecting her third baby very soon and she just discovered that one of her little ones has hand, foot and mouth disease (HFMD). Knowing that I have been learning about herbs for the last several years, she asked what natural (and pregnancy safe!) things she could do to help her son get better and help reduce the risk of her or the baby contracting it. Curious about what I’ve found?

What is Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease?

No, it’s not related to the animal disease called “Hoof and Mouth”. It is a virus (most often Coxsackie A) and it’s almost never dangerous. It is, however, highly contagious and very unpleasant. Incubation is three to seven days and is followed by mild fever, sore throat and can include appetite loss and diarrhea. A day or two later, little blisters form in the mouth and a rash develops, usually on the hands and feet, but it can be other places. The rash can be sore, but is not itchy.

Symptoms last one to two weeks, but some sources say that an infected person can still spread the virus for a few weeks after they are recovered. There is no medical treatment and since this is a virus, please don’t ask your doctor for antibiotics. They won’t help and they will damage your immune system. Since a person is most contagious during the incubation period (before you even know they are sick!), it is important to treat the entire family. I don’t recommend trying to reduce the fever, since the fever is part of the immune system’s natural response to kill the virus.

Image of a little boy with Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease

Natural Remedies

One of the things I love about herbs is that there are often many options for treating problems and each herb often has many uses! Hand, foot and mouth disease is a virus, so antiviral herbs are what we want. Since hand, foot and mouth disease almost always affects children, we need herbs that taste good!

Antiviral Teas

These can be warm or cold, depending on what is more soothing for your little one’s sore mouth.

• Lemon Balm: This is sooo delicious! Dried lemon balm has a subtle lemony flavor that isn’t too strong for little ones (not fresh, though! It tastes like grass!). Brew a little and add a bit of raw honey once it’s cooled some. (Don’t use honey for babies under one year.) Buy it here.
  • Peppermint: We grow chocolate mint in our herb garden and I think it makes a tea so sweet that you don’t even need honey! Don’t make this too strong, though, or most young children won’t drink it. Buy it here.
  • Elderberry: Too much can cause diarrhea, but a few cups a day is delicious and wonderful for fighting viruses. Buy it here.
  • Rooibos Tea: This red tea from Africa is naturally sweet and so good that I drink it often, just because I like it! It is antiviral and pairs well with the elderberry tea. Buy it here.

Antiviral Broth

Your kiddos might not have much of an appetite, so broth/stock is a good option for nutrition.Use either chicken or beef broth/stock and add the ingredients below. When reheating broth, use the stove top, not the microwave!

• Garlic: Don’t you just love garlic?! It’s antiviral, antibacterial and it tastes so good! Crush or mash the garlic and let it sit in a bowl for 15 minutes before adding it to the broth. This allows air to activate the best healing properties.
  • Thyme: Fresh or dried, thyme is excellent for any virus. Toss some in toward the end of the cooking time. Buy it here.
  • Sage: Along with being antiviral, sage helps to reduce inflammation, heal the sores in the mouth and sooth the upset tummy that sometimes comes with HFMD. DO NOT add sage to your own broth if you are pregnant or breastfeedingBuy it here.
  • Rosemary: It is antiviral and also antibacterial, which helps to prevent secondary infections in the sores.

Soothing Antiviral Oil

Virgin coconut oil is antiviral, too! It is naturally solid at room temperature, so it can be used as a salve, or you can even put a scoop in the bathtub as a bath oil! For an extra boost, infuse it with some lemon balm and calendula (learn how here!). Apply as often as desired.

Antiviral Hand Soap

To help prevent the virus from spreading, use a liquid hand soap and add 2 or 3 drops of tea tree oil to each bottle. If your kiddos don’t wash their hands well, you might want to temporarily use an all-natural foaming hand soap and tell them to wash their hands twice every time they use the bathroom. My four-year-old thinks the foaming soap is tons of fun, so she does a much better job than with bar or liquid soap. ;-)

Antiviral Surface and Air Cleaners

Plain ol’ white vinegar with several drops of tea tree oil will do a fantastic job of killing the virus on surfaces (toilets, doorknobs, light switches, etc.) and the vinegar smell goes away once it’s dry. Adding tea tree oil to a diffuser or in a pot of steaming (not boiling!) water will help kill germs and it’s good for the people who are already sick.

If one of your little ones brings home hand, foot and mouth disease, starting your entire family on these safe antiviral herbs may help to keep the rest of you from catching it and help your kiddos recover more quickly!

If you’re looking for more home remedies and practical suggestions on how to keep your children healthy, naturally, get A Practical Guide to Children’s Health.  With over 300 primary sources, it’s a well-researched guide to vaccines, illnesses, allergies, sleep, feeding, and lots more.  Get the PDF or the paperback.

Have any of your children had hand, foot and mouth disease? Did you use any natural remedies for comfort or to prevent spreading it?

Justyn and her hubby have been married almost ten years. She has an adorable four-year-old, and gave birth to her second baby in her home at the end of November. She began blogging to share what she’s learning about her passions, which include "real" foods, herbs, natural living, gardening, crafts, homeschooling, homebirth and anything else that grabs her interest. She sees all of these things as ways God gave us to live creatively and would enjoy sharing her journey with you. Come on over for a visit at Creative Christian Mama or on Facebook.

Like what you just read? Stay in touch with our newsletter!

Email Format

1. Hi,

I am mother of a two year old daughter and I am really worry about my daughter. She is very active and naughty too. She had 1-2 injuries every week. Your home remedies is really useful in my case.

2. […] eating well and sleeping well will give your body the tools it needs to fight it. And you can try these suggestions from Modern Alternative Mama as well.  Since it is generally a children’s disease, I also […]

3. Great to know, good thinking on the broth. I’m growing elderberry here in Florida, however the tree hasn’t produced anything yet, so I guess I’ll have to order mine :-(

I didn’t realized Rooibos is an antiviral.

The other thing is the fever, my daughters got up to 104.5 last night, we dipped her into the tub, which helped, but calcium is good. Apple cider vinegar on the feet is good, allegedly.

In any case, thank you for the nice post.

4. Great information! However I ended up getting Hand, Foot, and Mouth disease as an adult and I can say it is VERY itchy. That is how I cam across this, I am looking for remedies. It is 6AM and I have yet to be to sleep because of the discomfort. The fact that it isn’t itchy is a misconception

• Kimberly, my 9 year old son picked this up I’m guessing at the skating rink for a birthday party. He complains of the blisters being itchy as well. We are using colloidal silver and it kept the blisters from spreading. They never made it to his mouth, thank God!! You may want to give it a try.

• I got it a couple months ago from my one year old. It was awful! So itchy and miserable! I finally figured out I could sleep if I kept my arms above my head, so I lost feeling.
      I felt so bad my baby had it, but she didn’t seem nearly as miserable as I did.

5. […] special thanks to Modern Alternative Mama and From Faye for sharing solutions that have worked for you. Thank you to Darin Morin for the […]

6. I can’t use vinegar. The smell makes me very ill and the cat was peeing every place I used it ( rescue cat) but I found that you can use vodka, yep cheap stuff was great, spray it around, dunk stuff in it and wash stuff with it. I was using other harsher stuff after the vinegar wasn’t doing it for us. I would use vinegar first always a winner with cleaning.

7. PLEASE HELP!!! My 8 month old is completely miserable. He is inconsolable at the moment and we r trying to comfort him as much as we possibly can. We got his fever down after it being 104 for 2 days straight. He is taking Tylenol and Motrin around the clock. Will barely drink and will not eat, has blisters all over him, and a rash on his entire body. This is day three day abd we have gone to the doctors twice and the ER once. We have been giving him the magic mouthwash (antacids and benadryl). But we r desperate for help to soothe him. Its almost impossible to get him to sleep and Stay asleep, and he is EXHAUSTED!!! I can not take hearing my baby cry for these long periods. (30 or more minutes) Please someone help recommend a home remedy that will be safe for his age (almost 8 months).

– Ana, one desperate frightened worried young new mother

• Ana, it is 9/7/14 and I just came across this site tonight. How is your little one? What treatments finally worked. Is he ok? So sorry he had to go through this. Bless his heart.

8. Sorry to hear about your baby Ana! We just read your post. Not sure if it’s too late, but what works is a cold towel to sooth large infected parts with bad itching. Might make the baby cry louder at first, but will help in the long run. We have a 6 year old who just had a breakout of this. However, our oldest (now 11) had this as an infant. For itchy spots, try putting ice on the itchy part to soothe/numb the pain. That has been working for us.

9. All due respect…
    Both my sons got HFMD…and then **I** got it.

Itching ulcers…YES!!!

They are like HOT glass shards/porcupine prickers dipped in itching powder, lemon juice, and rubbing alcohol that CONSTANTLY itch!!!

Of the places I got them on my face, feet, buttocks, and hands…the hands are THE WORSE!!!

Had to clear that up. I keep seeing that they don’t itch and that is a sad, sad wish at this point on day 4!

10. Hello! My children got hand foot and mouth from school. I used the coconut oil on their spots on their hands and feet and the next morning they were lighter red and less itchy. I’m making the broth now. Thank you for posting these! They’ve been a life saver!

11. I think I have HFM, but the information on adults with HFM is very little, so I don’t know if it really is HFM. My children had HFM a few months ago and got over it really fast. Last week I was around my nieces who had it and a few days later I got a really bad sore throat and a bad sore in my mouth. I didn’t think it was anything then 2 days later I woke up extremely itchy. My entire body itches, but my hands and feet are the things that itch the most. And they get severely itchy when I am close to heat or if I get warm. Which makes cooking or even going outside with my kids very painful. I have to keep my house cold and wear light clothes, I also have to sleep with ice packs on my feet so they don’t itch all night and keep me awake.
    I haven’t had any blisters until yesterday ( day 4 of the itching ) I found 2 blisters on my feet. I have some blister like sores on my face, my scalp, knee, hips and buttocks.
    I’m just wondering if anyone else has felt completely itchy all over? Or if this is just something else that just so happens to be somewhat like HFM. I’m trying to not go insane over here.