Categories

kris krüg via Compfight

Since our community has grown so much this year, I realized that I may have a few followers who pop in and out and who may not know what Modern Alternative Mama is really all about!  I thought I should go ahead and clear it up for you.  You’ll see that Modern Alternative Kitchen is posting a similar blog today.  We, as a network, want to just take this opportunity to let you know who we are.  This is a bit of a follow-up to last week’s post Bloggers are People, Too.

How Did We Start?

It was fall, 2009, and I had just discovered a lot of new information about health and wellness, largely because of my daughter’s food allergies.  We had discovered dairy, then gluten, nuts, peanuts, legumes, and a number of others.  It was overwhelming, yet I felt like my eyes had finally been opened!  We began to reject modern medicine (who could not, after repeated visits, tests, and treatments, help us with her) and look towards alternative treatments.  I spent hundreds of hours reading about alternative health while she slept.  I wanted to share it with everyone!

(If you’re curious, you can go back and read Rebekah’s Story and Rebekah’s Story, Updates to learn more about how this all started.  She’s now a very healthy, happy 4 1/2-year-old with no more food allergies and no speech delay.)

No one really wanted to listen, and in my eagerness, I often accidentally offended people.  I had no idea that the information I had discovered was so controversial!  When I first heard that flu shots might not be good for babies, I mentioned it briefly on a message board — and wow, did people get upset!  (I really, really meant it innocently and did not yet understand the serious controversy that was out there!)

Then I discovered blogs, blogs that wrote about the kinds of things I was interested in, from the perspective I wanted to write from.  The very first one I discovered and the one that motivated me to actually begin MAM was Keeper of the Home (I’ve been a contributing writer over there for almost two years now).  Stephanie showed me that there is a whole bunch of people out there who eat real food, practice alternative medicine, home school, entrust their family size to God, and live as Christians.  I had no idea!

So Modern Alternative Mama was born.

Growing Up

The blog grew slowly at first, and then much more rapidly starting around the 1-year mark, when I finally hit my stride.  Since then we’ve continued to grow fairly rapidly, and this year we are in the process of launching some sister sites.  Modern Alternative Kitchen was launched in early July, and Modern Alternative Pregnancy is due to launch in just over a week.  Next week you’ll learn more details about our next sister site!

It’s been a wonderful journey as we’ve expanded and our audience has grown.  This year alone we’ve tripled the traffic to the blog, and nearly tripled our Facebook fans too.  That’s so exciting!  But of course, with it comes new fans who may have stumbled on a helpful post, and may not have fully explored the site.  I also know we have a very diverse community.  And that’s wonderful!

But in case you’re wanting to know more about us, and if we, as a whole, are a good fit for you, I wanted to share a bit more about who we are (and are not).

Modern Alternative Mama is:

• Living as a Christian, based on following Biblical principles
  • Leaving family size up to God/large families
  • Christian/traditional marriage
  • Natural/alternative health (including not using antibiotics or vaccines, for our family personally)
  • Real/traditional food
  • Homeschooling/unschooling
  • Natural and Christian homemaking
  • Homesteading/farming (coming soon!)
  • Natural/Christian parenting (an area I’m still struggling to balance, frankly)
  • Sewing and crafting (when something strikes my fancy)
  • Natural birth/ pregnancy/ breastfeeding
  • A supportive, positive, and diverse community for those who are interested in any or all of the above

Modern Alternative Mama is NOT:

• Traditional medicine/pro-modern medicine
  • Worldly/non-Christian point of view
  • Junk food
  • Feminist (as in, “must work outside the home,” “having it all” or the idea that homemaking is wrong, bad, or demeaning to women)
  • A place for negativity, rudeness, swearing, etc.

In no way do I promote intolerance of those who believe differently, nor will I allow commenters to insult me or one another.  I promote my own worldview and aim to support those who share it.  I hope to help families become strong in the Lord, in their marriages, as parents, and with their health and wellness.

If we are not what you thought, no hard feelings!  We want to be honest and transparent about who we are and what we promote.  We fully understand that many of you will pick and choose what works for you, and we understand that many of our readers feel passionately about one of our subject areas, and may feel very differently on others.  That’s okay!  As long as everyone adheres to that last principle (a supportive, positive, and diverse community) we’re all good!

Why Does This Matter?

I don’t want to be shy about saying who I am and what I stand for.  I know that, especially as a Christian woman, wife, and mother, that there will be people who take offense to me and my beliefs.  I am okay with that.  I am still going to put it out there because it is important to share that I love God and I strive to follow Him.  I fail all the time and I can’t say I’m a shining example of a Christian in any regard.  But I still strive to do better everyday.

I want to attract a community that largely believes a lot of what I do, so that we can come to support and learn from each other.  I understand that my followers and I will never agree on everything and I love that we can share our differences respectfully.  I’m being up front now so that we can understand and appreciate any differences, and maybe some of us can connect on new levels!

Over the next few months, with the launch of our sister sites, Modern Alternative Mama’s focus will be shifting just a bit.  We’ll be talking a bit less about food, pregnancy, and the next topic (health!) and more about homeschooling, homemaking, and living as Christian mothers and wives.  We’ll still talk about food and health because those topics are part of being mothers and wives!  But the nitty-gritty details will belong to the sister sites.

Since we’re (still) hoping to move to a farm property in the next few months (ideally before baby arrives, but we’ll see…), homesteading and farming will be major topics too.  We’ll be talking about the “stuff of our lives” a bit more often!  I want to share with you who we are and the journey we’re on to continue “living the non-mainstream life!”

I hope that this is important and hopefully exciting to you!

What would you like to see on Modern Alternative Mama in the coming months?

Kate is wife to Ben and mommy to Bekah (5), Daniel (4), Jacob (2), and Nathan (born March 2013). She is passionate about God, health, and food. She has written 7 cookbooks and a book entitled A Practical Guide to Children's Health. When she's not blogging, she's in the kitchen, sewing, or homeschooling her children. You can also find her as a contributor at Keeper of the Home.

Like what you just read? Stay in touch with our newsletter!

Email Format

1. I know I read Bekah’s story a while back, but I re-read it again. I can’t wait for baby #2 to arrive (late January) so I can do so much differently than I did with my son! He was strictly formula fed, early solids, cradle cap, etc, but was developing properly with language and motor skills. But now he has allergies (egg, peanuts, cinnamon, some sort of dairy intolerance and a shown sensitivity to peas, pork and mushrooms!) and I can’t help but wonder if I had done things differently would his body be different? Still working out what all to do for him and if he can outgrow all of this. With my next we will EBF if at all possible, and delay solids, and whatever else I can do!!

2. Thank you so much for sharing all of this. I have been a follower for a little while and it’s nice to see a solid framework for your writing. I agree with so much of what you say, but at the same time it makes me sad that you say you are not feminist because you are a homemaker.

Just as Christians are sometimes given a bad name by fanatics who take things too far, the name of feminists is often tainted by those who are negative and rude, close-minded and intolerant. Just as Christ’s message of love is often overshadowed by the hateful things people do in his name, the true message of feminism, that women should have the same opportunities as men, gets lost sometimes too. Choosing to stay home because that’s what’s right for your family, because that’s what you want to do, and because that’s what you feel God has called you to do is as much feminist as choosing to be childless, single and pursue a high-power career.

One of my favorite movies ever is Mona Lisa Smile (if you haven’t seen it, you should: I think you would like it a lot). It’s about a group of women at an all-women’s college in the 50′s who are struggling with balancing social expectations with their own desires.

At one point, one of the main characters is talking to her teacher. She says: “To you a housewife is someone who sold her soul for a center hall colonial. She has no depth, no intellect, no interests. You’re the one who said I could do anything I wanted. This is what I want.”

You can be a housewife and a feminist, because being a feminist means you have the choice to choose whatever you want.

I’m excited that your blog and your life is moving into a new phase. As a teacher, seeing what others do in their homes is always fascinating to me. I believe that public school isn’t right for everyone (which is especially true because I teach at a private religious school) and it makes my teacher and mom heart happy to see other’s taking control and making the decisions that are right for their family.

• I agree it is possible to be a housewife and a feminist. There are those who disagree, and that is the viewpoint I do not support. I will never say that being a housewife is wrong or bad or not a valid lifestyle. There are sadly some feminists who say that, and I wanted to draw a distinction there. I support women choosing what works for them, but not women who say that to be a valid and successful person you MUST make certain choices.

3. I’m a fairly new reader, having just discovered your blog in February. I’ve truly enjoyed following your blog and have learned so much about real food and natural health as I’ve transitioned into a real food and more natural way of living. I first and foremost want to thank you so much for all the work you put into your blog and the wealth of information that you have provided. You have helped tremendously on my journey.

However, and I mean this in the most respectful way possible, it saddens me when I see statements like this:
    “Feminist (as in, “must work outside the home,” “having it all” or the idea that homemaking is wrong, bad, or demeaning to women)”

I certainly don’t blame you or anyone else who makes these type of statements, because most of the time, they have only heard feminist stereotypes in the media or from others, and the topic of feminism is not really taught in schools. In many cases, it is something one would have to be curious about and take the initiative to learn on one’s own. But I wanted to let you know that third-wave feminists has worked very hard from roughly the ’80s to present times to challenge the second-wave feminist notion that women must “have it all” or adhere to a rigid definition of what being a fulfilled woman is. This most recent wave of feminism has championed women’s choice to decide what is right for THEIR life, whether that is being a mother and homemaker, having a career, or some mix of the two/something else. All of these choices are considered equally valid, and the diversity of the choices that women make is celebrated in third-wave feminist times.

I would encourage you to look further into the topic yourself. Again, thank you so much for the hard work you put into your blog, your research on a more natural lifestyle, and your interesting blog posts. You definitely have a fan here!

• Heather,

I don’t think all feminists think that way. I think many are interested in women having choices, and I am too. There are a few, though, who are out there (and sadly very vocal) who believe women SHOULD have it all, work outside the home, and that motherhood/homemaking is not a valid choice. I do not support that view. I do not support anyone who wants to tell a woman what she must do in order to be a valid woman. And I’m willing to fight back against those who say motherhood is demeaning (sadly, being said in very public forums) because I don’t believe that at all. The statement wasn’t meant to reflect all feminists; just those who like to say the types of things in the examples I gave.

4. I love MAM & all of those bullet points above that MAM stands for. Thank you for holding fast to your beliefs and not wavering to increase your reader numbers. I have so much respect for this blog & look forward to continuing as a devoted reader and follower. :)

5. Thank you for your blog posts I have really enjoyed reading them over the past few months. I went and read your daughter’s story and almost cried. I now realize after correcting so many of my food sensitivities with the GAPS protocol and changing to a whole foods diet that both of my children suffered when they were infants. I am grateful for now having the tools and knowledge to set alot of this straight with them before they are older but they are already 10 and 8yrs old. Some days are a real struggle but seeing your blog posts have been inspiring and reassuring that what I am doing is really making a difference in my family’s life. Best wishes to you and your growing family!

6. Hi Kate! Thank you for clearing that up. I agree with you, ALL women should be able to choose what path is right for themselves. And the all-too-vocal feminist women who think homemaking or motherhood is demeaning should remember that they would not be here if it weren’t for mothers! Motherhood/homemaking is just as valid a choice as any other that a woman decides to do. Thanks for the respectful reply, and keep up the great work!

7. Woo hoo!!!!
    Thanks for defining yourself for us newbies!
    I think you are GREAT and I am so excited to be part of the MAM community as a subscriber.
    I also love KOTH and Kitchen Stewardship. I also blog and think it’s a great idea to define oneself for your readers. I blog about my transition from office to farm life so I am really intrigued about what you think about life on a farm!
    Best of luck to you! May God bless your ventures!

8. As a long-time reader I am disappointed that you included that MAM isn’t worldly view/non-christian friendly. While anyone who reads your blog is aware of your belief system, writing that statement reeks of intolerance that you preach about in the next paragraph. A non-christian may bring something different to the discussion that another reader may need to hear. I don’t think I can continue subscribing to your blog, following you on facebook or purchasing your e-books. There are many other blogs that talk about the same ideas of traditional foods, GAPS, pregnancy, alternative lifestyle, that doesn’t exclude people who believe differently.

• I do not mean at all that readers who believe differently are not welcome. I just me that WE, as a writing team, won’t be expressly writing about or promoting beliefs that we don’t hold. So you may not see certain topics. Also, while different viewpoints are always welcome in the comments section, if someone was rude about our Christian lifestyle and insistent on promoting something else (again, in a rude way), that would not be tolerated. Mostly because of the rudeness. I’m just trying to explain that when we (the MAM team) are writing, we are coming from a Christian perspective so that is what you should expect to see. We certainly don’t expect everyone to agree, nor think that people who disagree shouldn’t be here.

9. I think this is great and that you should send this out immediately when someone subscribes to your blog. That way they know right from the beginning what you are and aren’t all about.

10. Yes, I am a bit confused about the religion point. I understand what your beliefs are, and totally respect them. My question is, are you saying you will not tolerate people speaking against a Christian lifestyle, or you do not want any readers/followers who are not in a Christian lifestyle?

I am interested in alternative medicine, real food, farming, homeschooling, natural pregnancy and birth, but I am a spiritual agnostic. If you only want Christian readers, I’d just like to know, so I don’t upset anyone by being here!

• What I meant is that we specifically promote a Christian lifestyle. There are aspects sometimes of the alternative lifestyle that are not in line with our beliefs. You won’t see those here. Those who believe differently are welcome, but, basically…don’t expect to see certain non-Christian view points represented. If that makes sense. I occasionally entertain guest posts from those who are not Christians and I always enjoy comments from those of other belief systems, it’s just that WE (the MAM team of writers) will not be expressly promoting alternate points of view. We will be sharing our lives from our perspective, which is Christian. I hope I am explaining this right.

11. Glad to see that we have much more in common that I knew! Great post! Looking forward to the changes and sister sites!