Dear Vaccine Pushers: I Don’t Vaccinate and You Can’t Make Me

don't vaccinate

Image by USACE European District

Okay, the title is childish.  I know.

It’s just that every time a few people catch a simple disease (like measles or pertussis) — from which the vast, vast majority recover with no issues — we have to start the media circus.  And the media uses the opportunity to shame, bash, and belittle parents who don’t vaccinate.  Those parents then go in and try to be reasonable, try to explain their position, and basically defend themselves.  They’re heaped on by a majority who think they are crazy, tin-foil-hat-wearing loons (yes, that word was used recently) who shouldn’t have a choice in the matter…and maybe shouldn’t even have children at all.

I’m over it.

I’m not going to defend myself against the bullies.  I’m not going to throw facts and statistics at you, showing how reasonable my position actually is.  (My position, by the way, is that every parent should have the right to choose if they want to vaccinate or not.  If you want to, that’s fine.)  I’m not going to try to mount an actual logical argument.  Because these people are bullies.  They are not interested in facts.  They are not interested in logic.  They are only interested in forcing people to accept their will.

So here you go, vaccine-pushers: I don’t vaccinate, and you can’t make me.

Herd Immunity: Who Cares

The biggest reason people want me, and everyone, to vaccinate is herd immunity.  They claim that unless 95% or greater of the population is vaccinated, that we all risk these diseases beginning to circulate again wildly — and that the elderly, infants, and immunocompromised will be at serious risk.

Let’s ignore that:

• Most of the adult population isn’t up to date on boosters and/or never received certain vaccines in the first place
  • Over 95% of children ARE up to date on their vaccines
  • We’ve had major advances in medical science that allow us to treat diseases differently so they’re NOT deadly anymore

But, sure, ignoring all that.  Oh no!  We might have an uncomfortable week!  (And yeah — if your child is immunocompromised, I understand that you want to take extra precautions.  I know that nothing in life is simple for you and I’m not trying to make light of that.)

Bottom line, though?  I make the decisions that are right for my child.  do.  With no input from you or anyone else, unless I choose to consult them.  And I’m not asking right now.  I’m not willing to put my children at risk on the tiny chance that it might someday prevent another child from getting a disease (that most likely won’t harm him or her).

No, I don’t think it’s selfish to say that.  In fact, I think it’s selfish for people to ask me to vaccinate when I’ve made a decision not to.  That’s right — you’re being selfish to try to force your will onto me.   Vaccines are not without risk.  In fact, there are thousands of reports of children who have died or been permanently damaged by vaccines.  But vaccine pushers are going to tell me that that doesn’t really happen that often, and it doesn’t really matter, that it’s “worth it” to “save” some other children.  (Never mind that vaccine reactions are much more common than most people know, and that severe complications from the disease themselves are quite rare….)

I’m sorry, but having my own child dead or damaged isn’t worth it to me, to possibly save another child from an uncomfortable week.  Not by a long shot.

I will not be bullied into vaccinating.  I won’t place my child at risk to possibly help someone else’s child.  I.will.not.  And don’t ask me to, either.  You don’t have that right.

Responsibility to Society

Some of you say, okay, fine — don’t vaccinate.  But then don’t ever come out in public.  Don’t go to libraries, to public schools, to anywhere that your child might “infect” someone else.

I say, do you know how silly that is?

First, unvaccinated children are not disease carriers.  Under normal circumstances, they’re as likely as anyone else to catch something.  Most of what they’re likely to catch, we don’t vaccinate for anyway.  The norovirus (stomach flu) that’s been going around this year is truly nasty…but we don’t vaccinate for it.  I don’t see this as being any worse or different than measles.  Yet if my family inadvertently gave it to someone else, they would just say “It happens.”  But if my family somehow gave someone measles?  They might flip out.

It’s not different, people.  These illnesses are pretty equally bad.  And pretty equally “fine,” in the sense that you will recover with no lasting damage.

“They” say that people like me aren’t scared enough about these diseases, that we don’t really remember what they are like.  I say, the opposite side is too scared.  Good job, media!  They’ve made people think that if you get polio, you will end up paralyzed and in need of an iron lung (not even remotely close), that if you get mumps you will end up sterile (almost no chance), that if you get measles you will go blind (this wasn’t even reported as a complication in any case in the last 30+ years in the U.S.).

Our responsibility to society is simple: don’t go out in public if you are sick.

Yeah!  That’s it!

There’s no reason to keep healthy people out of the public sphere just because they haven’t had a vaccine.  It’s ridiculous.  It’s paranoid.  It’s bordering on obsession and insanity.  And I’m honestly not blaming most who think this — it goes back to the media.  They’ve done a great job of scaring people into vaccinating, and against those who choose not to.

I Don’t Care About Jenny McCarthy

Just a few more things.  If you honestly are curious about why I don’t vaccinate, I’d be happy to tell you.  And if you leave the conversation saying, “Thanks for sharing, I’m still vaccinating my children,” then that’s just fine with me.

But if you want to know why I do what I do, do not say any of these things:

• “You’re putting your kids at risk.”
  • “You don’t really love your kids.”
  • “You’re just doing this because Jenny McCarthy said vaccines were bad.”
  • “All the science is conclusive, vaccines are safe and effective.”
  • “The only issue was that paper from that Wakefield guy and it was retracted and debunked.”
  • “Everyone who actually understands science believes in vaccines.”

These statements are untrue and infuriating.  I don’t care a bit about what Jenny McCarthy does and know very little about her personal beliefs surrounding vaccines.  I’m well-educated and capable of understanding science and thinking for myself (as are many, many others, including several with medical degrees who think the way I do).  I certainly love my kids and want what is best for them, and would never knowingly put them at risk.

Honestly, when people say these things, the conversation is over.  Anyone who says them is not interested in learning any information that isn’t available in the mainstream media.  They’re not interested in understanding why people think differently than they do.  They only want to bully.

And you know, I believe in people.  I believe that whether parents vaccinate or don’t, that they are capable of making the choice for themselves.  I believe they are smart enough to understand the information that’s out there.  I believe they love their children and want what is best for them.  I have no problems with people who say “Vaccinating works for us.”

It’s the pushers.  The pushers who tell me I don’t get it.  The pushers who will comment on this post, patting me on the head for my “attempt” at “understanding” but who irritatingly, condescendingly, explain to me why I just don’t have the intelligence or scientific background to make a conscious choice for myself.  Who tell me that I ought not to have a choice.

This post was written for those people.  You want to be condescending and ignore the actual evidence I share?  Fine.  But understand this: I don’t vaccinate, and you can’t make me.

How do you feel about the vaccine debate and parents who don’t vaccinate?

Comments

1. Michelle says

THANK YOU.
    This article is the rebuttal I wish I could say to everyone and anyone who has ever questioned my decision not to vaccinate my beautiful, healthy girls.

My decision to not vaccinate my children was not one I made over night…I have been ‘delaying’ vaccinating them for almost 10 years, and still cannot justify in my mind jabbing them in the arm or leg with something that may or may not harm them and may or may not work in the first place. I have what I call my mommy instinct…and that instinct is saying HELL NO TO VACCINES.

• Sarah says

LOVE this article, and your response as well, Michelle. I’m the same way… it’s MOMMY INSTINCT. We in America have the freedom of choice! It doesn’t matter where our research comes from, yet we are dissed for not going along with the “herd” and believing in “science”. PLEASE. My kids are much healthier than 99% of my friends’ vaccinated, constantly sick, constantly on antibiotics children.

2. Jamie says

Well said! I really don’t care what other people do with their children. I am a HUGE health nut when it comes to my kid and I expect others to follow my rules when watching her, but I would NEVER tell another parent what to feed their kid unless asked.

3. Bart says

You call the parents who are immunizing their children bullies…don’t you think acting in such away as this is bullying back? Trying to force your views of not immunizing onto those who wish to? I think you are just trying to get publicity, popularity, and are attempting to keep the debate going. I think no matter what you wish to do you can do so privately and only if asked give your opinion. Posts like this are nothing more than rants and raves. This wave of not immunizing can be viewed as just a radical, posh thing to do. The modern way to “stick it to the man.” There are publications in medical journals supporting both sides. So rather than spend your time writing posts like this, spend time with your children. Get off your smart phone, tablet, or PC and get down on the floor and play with your kids, that’s the best thing for them!

Hi Bart,

I think you misunderstood the piece. In fact, I think you didn’t even read most of it. I specifically stated in the introduction that my position on vaccination is that it is parental choice. I’m in no way trying to prevent those who wish to vaccinate from doing so. It wouldn’t be right of me to try to dictate another parent’s decision, anymore than it would be right of them to dictate mine.

I strongly disagree that “this wave of not immunizing can be viewed as just a radical, posh thing to do.” I cannot believe any parent would make such an important medical decision because it’s “cool.” What new cloth diaper to buy, or what sippy cup to try? Sure. If it’s ‘wrong,’ then no harm done. But medical decisions? No. That you would even make this statement suggests that you don’t understand, or even care to understand, why parents would choose not to vaccinate.

Finally, see this post about your comment on “get off your smart phone” http://www.modernalternativemama.com/blog/2014/03/20/dear-everyone-stop-judging-moms-on-their-phones/

• Denise says

I agree, I am tired of reading “in your face” type posts. Choose what you want, let others choose what they want, I agree, but no need to be shoving it in people’s face. In this case you are just doing the same as these “bullies”.

4. Kathy says

I respectfully disagree. There are a number of children in my daughter’s school with compromised immune systems. Some are undergoing chemo. It is a fact that they are in a healthier environment when around vaccinated children as opposed to opposite. Unless you keep you children home and never go anywhere public, your choice doesn’t just impact your children. So in this case of parental choice, I can’t agree.

Hi Kathy,

Thanks for your respectful approach.

When children have compromised immune systems, it can be tough to know how to best protect them. The fact is, *any* disease passed to them (even the common cold) can be dangerous. Also, children who are vaccinated can come across the diseases we vaccinate for, and pass them on, even if they do not get sick themselves. Vaccination is no guarantee of safety for others.

Plus, I invite you to consider that the much more dangerous situation is parents who send their children to school KNOWING they are sick. For example, your child throws up at night but is “okay” in the morning — and you send them. Or they have bad cold and cough — but you send them. Parents do it all the time so their children won’t miss instructional time, or so they won’t have to miss work. This is a much more serious and immediate threat.

Vaccination is not a magical way to protect children. And it comes with very serious potential risks. I can’t support the use of forced vaccination.

• says

Did you read her comment? Because your response was a strawman. She brought up kids with cancer and immune-compromised kids. And while yes, sending your kid in half-sick is a problem, so is sending in your unvaccinated child who has a much greater likelihood of contracting and spreading a serious illness.
        Vaccination is not a “magical” way to protect children but it is the best option in this non-magical real world that we actually live in. The risks are negligible and far outweighed by the benefits. If you persist in spreading this nonsense, I hope you’re homeschooling and staying out of public spaces.

• says

“…while yes, sending your kid in half-sick is a problem, so is sending in your unvaccinated child who has a much greater likelihood of contracting and spreading a serious illness.”

I don’t think you understand illness very well.

The VAST majority of cases of illness are things that we don’t vaccinate for. Even if we didn’t vaccinate this would likely be true, because colds and other simple viruses are much more common. You can get hundreds of colds in your life time. One case of chicken pox or measles and you’re immune.

Plus, at this time, cases of illnesses we vaccinate for are really quite few. 400 or so cases of measles? Kids who come in with strep throat are far, far, FAR more likely to get others sick. The fact that you think an unvaccinated child is more likely to happen across measles and go spread it around school than any child showing up with bronchitis suggests you don’t understand disease or probability.

I absolutely will not keep my children out of public spaces. They are not disease vectors and have just as much right as anyone else to be out. I’d suggest you keep yourself at home since you’re not fit to interact with others, but…sadly you won’t.

• says

“The fact that you think an unvaccinated child is more likely to happen across measles and go spread it around school than any child showing up with bronchitis suggests you don’t understand disease or probability.”

A measles vaccine vaccinates against measles. Not bronchitis. An unvaccinated child is absolutely more likely in probabilistic terms to contract and spread the measles. They are no more likely to spread bronchitis. I understand disease and probability quite well. You, sadly, do not seem to understand how to construct a logical argument.

• says

You clearly didn’t understand what I was saying.

What are the chances of a child coming across a live measles infection? 1 in 10,000?

What are the chances of a child coming across bronchitis? 1 in 100?

Any child, regardless of vaccination status, is more likely to get bronchitis than measles. Bronchitis is a more common ailment than measles. Are you understanding me now?

The point is, for children who have compromised immune systems, either illness could be dangerous. But we don’t much care about bronchitis and what damage it could do (and people even *knowingly* send their kids to school when they have it, which could be really dangerous to some) because we don’t vaccinate for it.

Remember that just because you don’t understand what I’m saying doesn’t make my argument illogical. It does make your comprehension poor, though.

I should also thank you for leaving that irrelevant and ridiculous review of my book on Amazon. Thanks to it, I now have a few new book purchases and have doubled the number of positive reviews!

• says

“Difference of degree but not of kind” also seems to present a problem, bafflingly. We vaccinate against diseases that kill and maim, to the best of our ability. We don’t vaccinate against “colds” because they are caused by a plethora of different strains of virus, and because they are not serious in a majority of cases.

• says

Do you realize that most of the diseases we vaccinate for are no more serious than colds? Or at least no more serious than other illnesses we don’t vaccinate for (roseola, bronchitis, etc.)? If you aren’t aware, I suggest you read up on WHO or CDC Pink Book instead of just listening to the media tell you (falsely) how deadly they are.

5. Susan says

Coming to this conversation late but thought I’d say this anyway. We’ve all heard about superbugs, about how the overuse of antibiotics has led to the evolution of infectious bacteria that are resistant to the antibiotics we have available. All very true.

But my husband recently shared a thought with me about viruses. Antibiotics are ineffective against viruses. Vaccines are thus argued to be the best recourse to fight against viral diseases. Suppose we are now witnessing the development of viruses that are resistant to vaccine generated immunity? After all, in most of these outbreaks of measles, mumps, pertussis, the majority of those affected were actually already vaccinated against the disease.

I think it’s an interesting idea anyway.

6. Kevin says

I am an unvaccinated supporter. My choice was based on hrs and hrs of research! And the medical history of both mine and my wife’s I am not going to base my decision on just what one person says! I feel that both sides can be pushy. We need to be advocates for our children! Because the most important thing that we are missing here, is what is best for our children and not worrying about what other people think about your choice to vaccinate or not. We need to stop wasting time arguing about this issue and start encouraging parents to educate themselves on the choices we make.

7. Sophia says

It is because of parents like you that these diseases are making a comeback, and will continue to. In ten years, it is scary to think of where the world will be with all of these preventable diseases circulating. I am not going to give any facts or evidence. It’s just the plain truth. The side effects of vaccines are there, yes, and it is scary. But when we are all walking around in a disease infested world again, which will be doubly worse because there are so many different cultures coming in and out of the U.S. now and other countries, the old saying “the benefit of vaccines outweighs the risks” comes to mind again. Yes, we all have a right to decide what’s best for our children, but you are putting us at risk and our future at risk. And yes, I read your article. You ARE putting us all at risk, I don’t care what you say about that because it is obvious. Your children will be the first to contract these diseases and good luck with that. I applaud you for making the choice to endanger your children and ours…and the old, the infants, the sick, the ones with immune system disorders…oh, but wait. It most likely won’t harm your children or them. That’s right, I am so misinformed and a bully, right? I’m a pusher because I am scared for our future. You are compromising our future!!!!

• says

Oh Sophia…I’m sorry, but your comment made me laugh.

“I am not going to give any facts or evidence. It’s just the plain truth.”

You simply cannot claim something is true just because you said so. That’s not how science works. There’s no evidence that what you say is true. I’m sorry you’re scared, honestly. That’s hard. But please don’t take your fear out on parents who are just trying to do the best for their children.

• Justin says

I am doing research at the moment on this topic but reading your reply is somewhat contradicting as your article/post has no references to other sources or even backup any facts you give but yet you say “You simply cannot claim something is true just because you said so. That’s not how science works” – u do this in your article/post. Then you say “There’s no evidence that what you say is true” another comment without sources/references and once again contradicting.
        Sounds like your doing the same as the opposite side which honestly I don’t mind since i want to hear both sides but if you had more sources in your article it would sound more credible then just an opinion without references – which to me sounds like a rant. More examples below:

Quotes without sources or references:

“as are many, many others, including several with medical degrees who think the way I do” – name the ones with medical degrees?

“Let’s ignore that:
        Over 95% of children ARE up to date on their vaccines
        We’ve had major advances in medical science that allow us to treat diseases differently so they’re NOT deadly anymore” – Sure sounds great sources and references please???

“First, unvaccinated children are not disease carriers. Under normal circumstances, they’re as likely as anyone else to catch something. Most of what they’re likely to catch, we don’t vaccinate for anyway.” – another statement with no reference or sources

“And I’m honestly not blaming most who think this — it goes back to the media. They’ve done a great job of scaring people into vaccinating, and against those who choose not to.” – really id like to see the sources and references on this one??

I guess you see my point. This article is not credible in the least and is just your opinion without any references / sources. Thanks for the read but I leave with nothing and move to a more credible source for information. Maybe you can edit and add sources / references instead of just assuming everyone will believe you.

Hi Justin,

As stated at the beginning of the post (and several times in the comments), this post was never intended to be a research-based post. It’s a rant, plain and simple. I have many other posts on here that are research-based, if you are interested.

• Tonya says

Dearest Sophia,
      First of all let’s get it straight, diseases are not coming back because of parents like us! We have outbreaks due to waning immunity and ineffective vaccines. Vaccines do not guarantee immunity and no vaccine is 100% effective (or safe). If you read the vaccines inserts it tells you that for some vaccines a person can shed the virus or bacterium for up to 21 days following vaccination. So the pharmaceutical companies are responsible for outbreaks because their vaccines suck. Yes, in 10 years the world will be a scary place due to all the chronically ill and disabled children that will need resources and people to care for them. We have several epidemics today that may be linked to our expanding vaccination schedule like asthma, autoimmune diseases, seizure disorders, childhood cancer, chronic ear infections and others requiring copious amounts of antibiotics, learning disabilities, speech delays, sensory processing disorders, type 1 diabetes, ASD and the list goes on. We have traded childhood diseases that strengthen the immune system for chronic disease that requires lifetime medication and care. And it has been estimated that if autism rates continue to climb at the same rate they do today, 1 of 2 will be autistic by 2025. Now that’s scary!!! If you believe your vaccines are effective for preventing disease in yourself or your children then by all means go shoot yourselves up. My unvaccinated children and myself should be of no threat to you. My unvaccinated 4 year old is by far healthier than her peers… Rarely sick, fevers 3 times in her life, never an ear infection or anything requiring an antibiotic, well ahead of her peers developmentally. The future looks great for those of us who think critically and not allow some stranger( doctor) to claim they know what’s best for us. Good luck to those of you that try to fool Mother Nature and put poisons and disease into your bodies.

• Valora says

I think it’s so funny when I read comments like this! Children who aren’t vaccinated are putting children who HAVE been vaccinated at risk?!!?!? Wow! There is just NO logic to that argument! Because it shouldn’t matter … those who ARE vaccinated shouldn’t get the disease. Period. After all, that’s WHY they get vaccinated, right?!?! Sounds to me like deep down people know that vaccinations don’t necessarily work … and if they may not really work, then why put your child at risk getting it? Oh – and if they don’t work 100%, then how in the world did the vaccines get rid of the diseases in the first place. Oh yeah – they ignore the fact the diseases were rapidly declining BEFORE vaccines were widely used.

8. Madison says

Kate. You rock girl!
    I think this is a brilliant and refreshing post. You are so right! So many vaccine advocates (I would say 99% of those I have ever confronted) have next to no information, but think their opinion is “the one.” I am so on your page. I am sick and tired of arguing with people with no information who passionately defend their uneducated opinion so that they never have to face the fact that they may have made a bad choice for their child. I respect parents who make an informed decision to vaccinate, and I would enjoy a friendly debate with a pro-vaxer who actually did some research on the matter. But all I ever run into are these emotionally volatile assholes who think that repeating the same five points their equally uniformed pediatrician told them will somehow make their decision the right one.

9. Holly says

I let my daughter’s pediatrician bully me into vaccinating at her 2 month appointment. Thankfully, she didn’t have any side effects. I was a weak mom and let her receive several more shots. She’s about 30% vaccinated if you go by the CDC schedule. Thank God she’s okay, from what I’ve noticed. She’s now 4 years old and hasn’t had a vaccine in over 2 years. The funny thing is that she hasn’t been sick in almost 2 years. I’m not necessarily blaming vaccines, but unnecessary doctor visits. Luckily for us both, I found my courage to just say NO and sign an exemption.

Thanks for this post!

10. Amber says

I don’t understand the accusations of the vaccinated and unvaccinated debate. Both sides have statistics and facts. People need to do research and make their own informed decision, you can say I am on both sides, my kids have the basic vaccinations, but I don’t run out every year to get stuff like the flu shot. In the end the decision is the parents and I think both sides bring risk to other peoples children. Vaccines are not 100% and some people react to them. It is scientifically proven that there is an epidemic every 300 years. People who have died in previous ones have been both vaccinated and unvaccinated. I don’t care your choice I just encourage it to be informed and you go with what you understand to be the best course of action. People need to stop with the bullying on both sides.

11. Jayne says

THANK YOU for this marvelous post. I am SO infuriated and sick of the pro vaccine bullying, I just can’t stand it. I agee with every one of your statements 100%, and I am grateful for you for being at the forefront of this very, very important issue. I feel like we are getting close to being lined up and persecuted as non-vaxxers, and I appreciate it when anyone comes forward in support as eloquently as you. Bravo!

12. Jewels says

I love the simple common sense approach to this article! I’ve spent hundreds of hours debating with thousands of hours of research. I’ve linked dozens upon dozens of credible scientific articles even government websites proving the risks to vaccinate are not ones I’m willing to take. And these foot soldiers that market for big pharma are deaf and blind. Glad to see a simple article like this! It makes me smile. And side note to the vaccine pushers McCarthy isn’t anti vax. Derp

13. says

This is the biggest bunch of crap I’ve ever read. People trying to prevent the spread of communicable diseases aren’t bullying you, they’re speaking the truth to ignorance. If you don’t like being called ignorant, read a science textbook. Not a blog. Not something written by someone like you. Crack open a medical journal. All of the information in the world is at your fingertips. If you’re choosing to be willfully ignorant, you deserve to be told directly and honestly: you are wrong, your ignorance is dangerous to the rest of us, and you’re selfishly freeloading on people who do take the risk and vaccinate.

• says

Well, gee, now that you cam here and said all that, I’m definitely going to change my mind.

How condescending and downright rude of you to call me ignorant. In fact, I’ve read more medical journals than you probably ever will. I know very well the science that is out there. I know it’s not nearly as strongly in favor of vaccination as people (bullies) like you think it is. I suggest you stop believing what the media tells you in sound bites and start reading the actual science for yourself — but you won’t, because for some reason you think you’re already familiar. Hate to break it to you, but you’re not.

I’d also suggest that you rethink your definition of bullying. When you go up to someone else because you are sure you are right and they are wrong, and you insult and demean them, that is bullying. Worse, when you feel you have a free pass to do so because you are “right,” that is narcissism.

You are the one who deserves to be told, honestly and directly: you are a bully. And you will never change anyone’s mind with your condescending crap.

• says

“In fact, I’ve read more medical journals than you probably ever will.” – and yet, there is not a single citation on this page. Argue from facts, instead of just being loud.

A bully is “a person who uses strength or power to harm or intimidate those who are weaker.” I’m assuming we’re about on par here, and I’m speaking to you as an equal and as a fellow mother. It’s not bullying to tell you that you are selfishly freeloading off of others. If you find the term “selfish freeloader” insulting, perhaps you should think about why it makes you defensive.

• says

You do realize, as stated at the top of this post, that is it not intended to be fact-based, right? I have dozens of other posts on this site that are well-cited; you’ve chosen not to read them.

This post states: “I’m not going to throw facts and statistics at you, showing how reasonable my position actually is. (My position, by the way, is that every parent should have the right to choose if they want to vaccinate or not. If you want to, that’s fine.) I’m not going to try to mount an actual logical argument. Because these people are bullies. They are not interested in facts.”

Go read my extensive researched posts, if you’re interested in facts (though I kind of doubt you are): http://www.modernalternativemama.com/vaccine-posts/

It is absolutely bullying to call me names, tell me I shouldn’t have a choice in my children’s health care, etc.

Gee…you can’t figure out why the term “selfish freeloader” would make someone defensive? Because it’s RUDE?? If I called you a fat buttface…why would you feel defensive? Are you, in fact, a “fat buttface?” Or could it be that I’m just being rude? Insults don’t have to be true to make someone feel angry….

14. Belinda says

Here are some CREDIBLE sources for those who wish to know why they SHOULD vaccinate. Reading angry, misinformed blogs based on emotion and not science does not constitute research.

MMR Vaccine and Autism: Vaccine Nihilism and Postmodern Science –

Vaccine Refusal, Mandatory Immunization, and the Risks of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases –

The Age-Old Struggle Against the Antivaccinationists –

Vaccines and autism:

Immunizations and Autism: A Review of the Literature –

Vaccines and Autism: Evidence Does Not Support a Causal Association –

Immunization uptake in younger siblings of children with autism spectrum disorder –

Influenza vaccination:

The Efficacy of Live Attenuated, Cold-Adapted, Trivalent, Intranasal Influenzavirus Vaccine in Children –

Effectiveness of influenza vaccine for the prevention of asthma exacerbations –

Efficacy of Inactivated Vaccine in Preventing Antigenically Drifted Influenza Type A and Well-Matched Type B –

Effectiveness and Cost-Benefit of Influenza Vaccination of Healthy Working AdultsA Randomized Controlled Trial –

The Japanese Experience with Vaccinating Schoolchildren against Influenza –

Pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine:

Safety and Immunogenicity of a 13-valent Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine in Healthy Infants and Toddlers Given With Routine Pediatric Vaccinations in Canada –

Safety and Immunogenicity of Neonatal Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccination in Papua New Guinean Children: A Randomised Controlled Trial –

Efficacy of 23-valent pneumococcal vaccine in preventing pneumonia and improving survival in nursing home residents: double blind, randomised and placebo controlled trial –

Hepatitis vaccination:

A 12-year cohort study on the efficacy of plasma-derived hepatitis B vaccine in rural newborns –

Safety of neonatal hepatitis B vaccine administration –

MMR vaccination:

Using the combined vaccine for protection of children against measles, mumps and rubella –

Lack of Association Between Measles-Mumps-Rubella Vaccination and Autism in Children: A Case-Control Study –

Autism and measles, mumps, and rubella vaccine: no epidemiological evidence for a causal association –

Response to Measles-Mumps-Rubella Vaccine in Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders –

BMJ and NEJM also have large collections of research on measles epidemics correlating to vaccine refusal. Go to each journals and search. I don’t have time to do it for you right now.

Tuberculosis:

Tuberculosis in unvaccinated children, adolescents, and young adults: a city epidemic –

• says

This is good to share, but please remember this particular post was *not meant* to be scientific evidence, nor convince anyone of anything. Its only purpose was to tell people who push their decision on others to stop doing it.

Also, tuberculosis isn’t on the childhood schedule, so that’s a little irrelevant to this discussion.

15. Jessica says

I enjoyed your article. I try not get into vaccine arguments but fell into one recently. And the woman wants me to give her my “evidence” she wants studies and reports and they just arent out there. Because those who want you to get vaccinated are the ones who do the studies. and i dont want to argue. Most people tell me i’m endangering others and thats why they dont let it go. Its starting to bug me. I don’t ask someone why they do in their house with their children. They feel righteous and want to tell me how im harming my child and im wrong and what im doing is bad. Have any of them stopped to think that i feel the same way about what they are doing – i just dont say it to them. I don’t tell them feeding their child formula is compromising their thyroid and digestive and immune system. That not picking them up or responding to their toddler will make them less independent when they are older ( while i get told that my child will be spoiled ) its getting out of hand. I dont tell them what to do or say they are poisoning/harming their child why do they feel its okay to say that to me?

16. B says

Your entire argument hinges on your ability to read the evidence suggesting vaccines are not necessary or safe. You fail to cite any of that evidence so that your audience may become further educated. Weird!

Trackbacks