Recipe Collection: Soaked Apple Crisp

admin September 27, 2012

This is one of our favorite, quick, healthy breakfasts.  Really, breakfast!  Low- sugar, apples, soaked whole grains…what’s not to love?  Even better if you can serve it with a little real whipped cream or coconut cream.  Since I have my own apple pie filling canned, it takes five minutes at night to mix the ingredients to soak, and another two minutes to put it together in the morning.  Breakfast practically makes itself, and all the kids love it.

It would obviously also make a great fall dessert. 🙂

Ingredients:

Directions:

Put your oats in a small bowl.

Add your whole wheat (or buckwheat) flour.  Oats are low in phytase and soaking them alone won’t reduce the phytic acid.  Wheat and buckwheat are both high in phytase, so it acts on the oats to reduce the phytic acid.  Pretty neat, no?  Plus it lends a nice texture.

Add the sucanat.

Add your cinnamon.  I like a lot so I added 3 tsp.  It was really good.  If you’re not such a fan, you can use less.

Add your coconut oil.

Stir it up, mixing the coconut oil in well.  Add your water.  This should be just enough to make it stick together, but it shouldn’t be mushy.

Stir it all up until all the oats are mixed in and wet.  Set it aside overnight.

In the morning, dump your apple pie filling in an 8″ round pan.

Crumble the soaked filling over the pie filling, then bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.

I don’t have a picture of this part because my hands got too messy, and by the time I washed them I’d put it in the oven already without thinking.  Plus Jacob was freaking out and pointing at it and signing “eat” so I knew I’d better get it done quickly!

**This post has been entered in Frugal Days and Sustainable Ways.**

How do you serve your apple crisp?

Family Supplement Plan!

Preventative_elderberry_syrup_narrower

Get our complete family supplement plan (which we take, in what doses, and when), along with our NEW preventative elderberry syrup recipe. Not available on the blog!

Powered by ConvertKit

1. This looks great. I don’t eat wheat and I don’t have any buckwheat, I’m wondering if rice flour (or coconut or almond or a bean flour) might work instead. I’m also thinking of using just a bit of honey or maple syrup instead of the sucunant, I know the texture might be a little different but it should still be yummy.

• You could use honey but you may not want to use any water in that case — you don’t want it too wet. Rice, coconut, and almond flours won’t work because you need something that has phytase in it. A bean flour may work. Buckwheat’s the GF flour that is highest in phytase which is why I picked that.

2. Why do you soak this overnight?

• Hi Julia,

The soaking gets rid of the phytic acid in the oats, making it easier to digest and more nutritious. 🙂 (Plus my kids can’t handle the unsoaked oats! They are very sensitive to phytic acid.)

3. Thoughts on how to replace coconut oil? My little one MAY be coconut sensitive so I’m trying to avoid all things coconut for now… Otherwise, this recipe looks awesome! 😀

• If you are not dairy free you can use butter. Or you can use a dairy free butter replacement. We have always used butter in our apple crisp topping. Just cut it into the oats with a for until it looks well incorporated. You can still soak the oats and it will turn out fine.

4. I’m curious about the soaking too. How does it make the food more nutritious? I haven’t noticed trouble digesting grains, or maybe I didn’t make the connection, what are the symptoms? More info please. 🙂

5. I thought this sounded good when it was mentioned, so I am glad you posted the recipe.

Here is my question: why do you use pie filling? When I make apple crisp I always use plain apples that are sliced. In the fall I slice and freeze apples in recipe quantities. When I want to make apple crisp, I thaw the apples in the fridge and drain off most of the liquid. Do you think your topping would have enough flavor with plain apples? I have to admit my recipe for apple crisp uses unsoaked oats as I am new to the concept of soaking them.

• You could use plain apples, but might want to add a bit of extra cinnamon or something. You might add the spices from the pie filling recipe to the apples when they’re raw and cook it. I use the filling because then I do all the work to make it up front, and it is a super quick breakfast. I like to use this on very busy mornings when a 5-minute prep and clean up is appreciated!

6. What do you think is the minimum amount of time it has to be soaked to get rid of the phytic acid? Does it have to go a full 7 or 8 hours overnight or could I get away with less?

7. Mmmmmmmmm! My kids will LOVE this!
    I love finding new recipes to keep breakfast fun, yummy and fast.
    Thank you!

8. Do you use pint or quart size jars for this? 🙂

• I usually use quart, because my kids eat a LOT! Two years ago I did pint sized because that used to be enough. This recipe is for quart though.

9. Can you use whey to soak instead of water? And would it then be the same amount? I recently separated some yogurt and have a jar of whey waiting to be used. Thanks!

• It should work out okay although the resulting topping will probably be a little more sour. You might use a tiny bit less if you can.

10. I thought when soaking you had to use some sort of acid medium and that was what reduced the phytic acid. Do you have a source that says different?

11. Wonder how this would taste with other pie fillings besides apple.

12. […] super popular for most, but for us it is.  I don’t use it to make pies, I use it to make soaked apple crisp for quick, healthy breakfasts.  I only did about 8 jars last year because it wasn’t a great […]

13. My daughter is not big on oats, outside of granola bars, but she says this is good. I just made it this morning with peach pie filling and it was just as good!