Monday Health & Wellness: Magnesium Lotion

magnesium lotion

I’ve been talking about magnesium for awhile now, and how necessary I think it is for many people.  (Check out my magnesium lotion, above — which I’m going to teach you to make!)

But I discovered something unfortunate: the magnesium “oil” spray (which is really a salt solution, not an oil) dried my skin out in these winter months and made it unbearably itchy.  Every night I was torn between using it — knowing I’d benefit with more restful sleep and a better mood — and not using it, so I could avoid the insane itching!  I’d use it for a couple nights, then skip a night or two, and so on.  It was helping, but not as much as if I were consistent.

I decided I had to find a new way.

Magnesium Lotion

I’ve made lotion before, and I know there are commercial magnesium lotions on the market.  They are expensive.  I decided it could not be that hard to make my own!

And it wasn’t.  I didn’t do anything fancy this time — I didn’t infuse any herbs or even add any essential oils.  This is completely unscented.  In fact, it’s sort of grayish and weird-looking, and it smells a bit like latex (because of the unrefined shea butter).  If you want to infuse some herbs or add some essential oils, try lavender, rosemary, peppermint, chamomile, comfrey, calendula, or whatever else you like.  In this particular case I was mostly after a nourishing lotion that contained magnesium and nothing else.

This is simple, requires only a few ingredients, and can be made in less than 15 minutes.

Ingredients:

• 1/2 c. double-strength magnesium oil* (1 c. magnesium chloride flakes + 1/2 c. water)
  • 1/2 c. avocado oil
  • 1/2 c. unrefined shea butter
  • 2 tbsp. beeswax

*Yes, that amount has been updated if you are checking back at the recipe.  It’s been doubled.  I have made this a number of times and I think the lotion is smoother, creamier, and has a way better texture with this amount.  Really, texture-wise, it’s the best lotion I’ve ever used.  And of course it doubles the amount of magnesium you’re getting so it’s really effective.  I seriously love this lotion.  Even if I were going for different properties — no magnesium, infusing herbs, etc. — I’d still use these same oils in these same proportions.  It’s just awesome.

Directions:

Make your magnesium oil, if you haven’t already.  Find the directions here.  You will not use all of it for this recipe, so save the rest for another batch.

Melt the avocado oil, shea butter, and beeswax in a small saucepan.  (If you want to infuse any herbs, do it in the avocado oil alone, strain, then melt the infused oil with the shea butter and beeswax.)

At this point you could add some essential oils to the melted oil mix if you want, 10 – 12 drops.  I didn’t bother.

Pour the oils into a blender.  (Sorry for the crappy blender pics; it was dark in my kitchen and I couldn’t get these to shoot well.)

Turn it on low and stream in the magnesium oil.

Put the lid on and turn it up higher.  It will turn into an opaque, cream-colored liquid.  That is when the emulsification is complete, and you have your lotion!

Pour the lotion into a glass jar.  This makes around 12 – 13 oz. of lotion so I used a 16-oz. glass mason jar.

Allow your lotion to cool completely.  It will solidify and become very thick and creamy, more like a ” body butter” than a lotion.  You might try using twice as much magnesium oil if you want a thinner lotion — I ended up liking mine the way it was, although I might try that next time.

Use as with any normal lotion, spreading especially over thin-skinned areas.  It absorbs very easily and fairly quickly and doesn’t dry out the skin.  It shouldn’t cause any stinging or tingling, like the plain oil can.  I like to use this just before bed, and I put it on my legs and belly.  It is nice for pregnant bellies too. :)

**This post has been entered in Frugal Days and Sustainable Ways.**

Have you ever used a magnesium lotion?  Did it work well for you?

welcome

Comments

1. Dani says

Kate beat me to it: I have a lot of coconut oil right now, and zero avocado oil, and hubby and I are looking for alternatives to the spray (which we like to use in the morning before the shower, but let’s face it: IT’S COLD IN DECEMBER! What a rude awakening!). Would it be too thick/hard?
    Thank you for getting me thinking about how to put this together!

• says

Pretty much any oil can be substituted in a recipe like this. I would recommend sweet almond oil or even plain olive oil before coconut oil since they are liquid like the avocado. I’m worried it will make the lotion too firm. But if you’d really like to use coconut I would try reducing the beeswax to one Tablespoon or 1 1/2.

2. bethany says

I have been using plain milk of magnesia as a deodorant. Do you think I figured am getting any benefits from that in the magnesium department?

• Kate Tietje says

I am not sure how much would be absorbed that way, and I know that is not as well absorbed as magnesium chloride. There’s probably some benefit, but not a ton.

• says

Curious, how do you apply milk of magnesia as a deodorant and is effective? When I was younger, and my skin was more oily, I would dab a little on my nose to keep the shine down and it worked very well.

3. Vinessa Chapates says

is it possible to get all of these ingredients at my health food store, or will I need to shop online for the magnesium chloride?

• Kate Tietje says

Some health food stores have the magnesium chloride — mine does. Ancient Minerals is the brand I typically see.

4. courtney guerrieri says

So I made this a few weeks ago when I first saw your FB note about making it…My lotion is so ugly green from the avocado oil, my son will barely let me near him with it! Are there different types of avocado oil like there are with coconut and olive? My husband doesn’t care what it looks like, so he’s using it along with me. I’m just curious though, as I have the good stuff, cold pressed, organic avocado oil, food grade…It was pricey!

• Kate Tietje says

Well, you could try other types of liquid oil if you think that might help. Sweet almond is a light yellow-ish color, so that could be a good option. I am unsure about types of avocado oil, mine is also green though.

5. Debbie S. says

Thank you , Thank you!! I am so excited to try this. I itch horribly from the “oil” too. I still try it on my soles but after a couple days they are bad. Thanks for figuring this out.

6. Lindsay says

This probably has an obvious answer, but does this have the same effect as the oil? I’ve been wanting to make the oil for a while to spray but didn’t consider the dryness in winter. I’ve been sleeping terribly lately so I’m desperate to try something and soon. Is there an added benefit to using avacado oil over olive oil?

• Kate Tietje says

Yes, it does. And I just like the way the avocado oil works with skin…every oil has slightly different properties. There are some lotion and soap making sites that talk about this more indepth.

• Kate Tietje says

Probably. It helped get rid of a scaly, dry rash that I had in the winter, and as long as I keep using it, the rash stays away.

7. Amanda says

Can you use cocoa butter instead of shea butter? Really want to make this and finally have all the ingrd except shea butter. Hoping cocoa butter works just as well!

• Hannah Elise says

I’ve successfully used cocoa butter instead of shea butter when making hard lotion bars… I would imagine it would work for this, too? At any rate, I intend to give it a shot, considering … it’s what I have on hand, and the budget is tight right now. 😉

8. Jenny says

I just made this but was wondering how you cleaned up your blender. Did you just soak it in hot water and dish soap I assume? My mix is pretty greasy and hot tap water isn’t touching it to rinse it out. This is my first time makin any kind of lotion and I did use cocoa butter and almond oil in place I the Shea and avocado oil, so maybe that a different combo that’s hard to clean up? If you have suggestions I’ll take them. Thanks for such a great idea! Magnesium oil itches me too much too!

Hi Jenny,

It is pretty hard to clean up. Honestly I put soap on my hands and physically “scooped” as much of the lotion out as I could. Then I put more soap and hot water in it and ran it a couple cycles, dumped it, and repeated. Once it was mostly clean, I put it in the dishwasher. That’s kind of unfortunate part about making the lotion, the clean up. If I had an immersion blender (I don’t) I’d probably try that.

• Jenny says

Thanks for the reply Kate, your cleanup sounds good and I’ll do that. I let it soak with hot water and soap and that didn’t do anything to it. Lol. I’ll get in there and work on it like you suggested. Thanks again!

• Interested says

Just looking into this stuff and ran across your page here. Interesting info.

Re cleanup: wouldn’t it be a lot easier if you just microwaved the blender jar first to liquify the remaining contents that stick to the glass, then clean it quick before it all re-solidifies?

• Kate Tietje says

That could work if your blender is glass, yes. Hot water and soap, then blending again works too.

9. says

Is it possible for the body to have too much magnesium? (I.e: Would one have to be careful about using too much of this lotion, or putting it on too often?)

Is it safe to use magnesium lotion on the face?

Thanks for your tips!

10. nora says

I have the spray and have stopped using it as well, due to the itching and awfully dry skin. I hate to waste my entire bottle, any chance I can measure that out as the magnesium? I would love to be getting the magnessium benefits again! Just found your blog today from pinterest, and I love it!

• says

I was wondering this too – my health food store had a magnesium oil spray I just got, was wondering if I could use that oil to make the lotion…… also wondering if it is okay to use on kids, like little ones – 1 yr up to 7 yr is what I have – any concerns in “overdosing”?

• Jessica Poston says

I have that same question! JUST before reading this post(as in yesterday!) I ordered ancient minerals ultra pure magnesium oil for myself and my brother. He’s not going to want to use it if it makes him itchy.:/

• Theresa says

Epsom salts are magnesium sulphate and magnesium oil is magnesium chloride. Magnesium sulphate is in many ways inferior to magnesium chloride. Magnesium sulfate is rapidly excreted through the kidneys and therefore difficult to assimilate. Magnesium chloride is very easily assimilated and metabolized by the body; therefore lesser amounts produce greater results. There is also the issue of toxicity. While no serious negative effects have been observed at lower dosage levels of magnesium sulfate, very high dosages (50 grams or more) have been shown to be toxic. On the other hand, the chloride part of magnesium chloride is not only not toxic, but very beneficial to the body.

• Melissa says

Intersting…
        I’ve heard that the magnesium SULFATE in Epsom salt actually helps with one of the body’s detox pathways (sulfation). For those who have a sluggish/poor pathway here, the mag sulphate is actually more beneficially, imo.

11. Jessica Poston says

How do you know if you are using enough? As in getting enough magnesium? Can you overdo magnesium or would it be ok to use this and take a supplement too? My brother has mitral valve prolapse, which at first I’d just heard could cause a magnesium deficiency, but now I’ve been reading that the magnesium deficiency could actually be causing the mitral valve prolapse!!

12. says

I made this today and used slightly less than 1/2 c. cocoa butter in place of the shea butter. It turned out wonderfully! It’s a glorious green color from the unrefined avocado oil (from mountain rose), and smells like chocolate from the cocoa butter. I used my immersion blender to make it, which made clean up super easy! I melted the oils in a glass measuring cup and then blended it in the same container to save on dishes. Thanks for the recipe Kate!

13. Theresa says

I’ve been using the Magnesium oil spray and have not had an issue with it drying my skin. On the contrary, my skin constantly feels slightly wet and oily which is in itself, a little uncomfortable (very surprising since I live in MN where it is very cold and the air is extremely dry from the furnace). Maybe it depends on the brand of magnesium flakes used? I do however, feel itchy from it and so do my children so I have looked into alternative ways of applying it. From what I have read, it is not recommended to use any oils/moisturizers with the magnesium oil because they can form a barrier on the skin and not allow the oil to be absorbed. It is recommended that if it does cause discomfort, that you leave the oil on your skin for 20-30 minutes to allow it to be absorbed, then to go ahead and wash it off and apply a moisturizer if you would like. I am no expert, but this is what I have read and it makes sense to me. I would hate to be using the magnesium oil and not be receiving the benefits from it. One report even said that the more itching it caused meant that you are particularly low in magnesium and it would improve over time as your magnesium levels were built up. I don’t know if I really believe that or if some people just have more sensitive skin.

Hi Theresa,

I wouldn’t think would be true — that *any* oil would form a barrier and prevent absorption. A lot of COMMERCIAL options would, because they’re based on petroleum oil or synthetics that aren’t well absorbed (or absorbed at all) and you wouldn’t want to combine those. Plant-based oils are absorbed easily into the skin, though, so a recipe like this shouldn’t be an issue. I know I definitely noticed benefits from it and sometimes really had to use it! I’d try to sleep, be unable, but after a little of this I was fine!

• Amanda says

Different oils and butters react differently. One of the great benefits of shea butter is that it produces a barrier on the skin that is still breathable. Unlike petroleum based products. But, a barrier all the same. Which makes it wonderful for helping to seal in moisture.

Theresa, I’ve read all the same suggestions as you on if it causes dryness or white spots from the salts, just wash after 20-30 minutes. It kind of stings me (magnesium oil) sometimes and the oil can leave stains on my clothes.

14. Bebe says

Hi Kate,
    I just made this today with kukui nut oil, apricot kernel oil and a little splash of argan oil. It’s what I had on hand. 😉
    I also added about a dozen drops of grapefruit essential oil, to a doubled batch, and the aroma is very weak. I was a little cautious about using more EO as the grapefruit can be a bit irritating to the skin in quantity but it is my happy scent and I thought that, psychologically speaking, it might help me remember to use my lotion. Oh well, it smells nice and clean and the texture is luxurious.
    As for cleanup, I was pretty meticulous about scraping the sides of my blender with a thin spatula (the miser in me) and am really happy I did. For the remainder I added some near boiling water and dish soap to my blender and turned it on for a few seconds. That took care of most of it. Now I just have to use a dish brush and regular hot soapy water to get the little bit of film that was left.
    Thank you so much for posting this. I am sharing the batch with my step-mom and two teenage daughters. Here’s to better sleep for all!

15. Liza says

So I made this today, minus the magnesium oil only because I’m waiting in my flakes to come in the mail and I was desperate for lotion NOW! I don’t have a regular blender so I used my magic bullet but I’m not sure if it worked. I guess I was expecting a lotion or creamy consistency and mine is kinda like solid coconut oil. It’s pretty oily on my skin even. Did I do something wrong??

• Kate Tietje says

Without the magnesium oil it will be a lot thicker. You could melt it down and add plain water to it instead if you wanted it immediately. It needs all the parts to be a lotion rather than a heavy cream/butter.

16. says

Does the updated recipe with more magnesium oil thin this out enough so that it would pump out of a lotion bottle? Or will it still be like a cream?

Also, other mag lotions I have tried making have seemed to leave the palms feeling too oily and sticky and the hands need to be wiped off after applying. How is this lotion in that respect?

Thanks,
    David

• says

Hi David! It is still like a cream, and while it isn’t oily or sticky, it does leave a bit of a residue behind. I use it at night before bed and shower in the morning.

17. Stephanie says

How do you get past the smell of this? I made it and tried to add some peppermint essential oil since I’m making this for my daughters who get migraine’s and she’s found that the smell of mint really helps her. I can hardly smell the mint as the smell of the shea butter is so VERY strong. I think I will use cocoa butter next time and probably for all future lotions as well (but I don’t have any right now). Is there anything else I can do to help the smell of the lotion I already made? I don’t want to waste it but I had the girls try it and the smell was a definite turn off.

18. says

Kate, thank you for this wonderful recipe!

I made it last night and it was easy and kind of fun to make. I had made the magnesium oil previously from wellnessmama.com (the same basic recipe) and didn’t care for the itchiness, so I used it up on this recipe. It’s very emollient. I’ve been looking for ways to get more magnesium into my son since kid vitamins have so little or none at all. He has a neurological disorder and has trouble with inattention—magnesium is known to helps and is often deficient in kids like him. I’ve also read magnesium is better absorbed through the skin. If nothing else, it will help with dry skin!

19. says

I’ve got a chunk of beeswax here and I’m wondering how to measure out 2 tablespoons since it is so hard. I can sort of eyeball it, of course, but it seems with a recipe like this being a little off either way could have a big impact on the final consistency. Could you tell me how much beeswax I need by weight?

• Kate Tietje says

Hi Sarah, I have a big chunk too. I use a sharp steak knife to shave some off and measure it from there. I am not sure about weight, but that works for me.

• Gina says

A Tablespoon is approximately 14-15 g. I measure my beeswax on a kitchen scale according to that measurement or you can measure in ounces. 1 oz is equivalent to 2 Tblsp. Hope this helps…

• Kate Tietje says

It would probably work, although I have not tried. I am not sure how well it is absorbed, and people vary in what form works best for them.

20. says

So… what would you say is the shelf life on this? Do you think it needs to be kept in the fridge? All the ingredients are typically room temp, but there are other recipes that say to use a preservative when making lotion. What are your thought son this? I used coconut oil in mine.

21. Charlotte says

My kids won’t let me near them with the spray bottle of homemade magnesium oil, because they hate the itching it causes! But two of my kids just went to the dentist and have cavities, despite our good Weston Price type diet and cod liver oil. I want them to get more magnesium, so this lotion seems perfect.

When I made it last night the magnesium oil didn’t really mix into the melted oils. I streamed it in like you said, and kept the blender going a long time, waiting for it to emulsify. Now I have a jar with great lotion and lots of watery stuff. I put it on us, making sure to get the wet stuff along with the lotion, but I want to get it mixed better. Has this happened to anyone else? Don’t know if it’s worth getting the blender dirty with this stuff again, if it may not work.

22. Jo says

When I worked on a dairy farm a few years ago I got really nasty burns on my arms and neck. I went to the doctors and found out it was magnesium burns from cow urine. We used water in the shed to spray the cows before milking them and then we would get wet arms. All the concentrated magnesium the cows had ingested has to come out somewhere, so of course when they peed it mixed with the water too, and so I got magnesium burns. They were so bad they looked like someone had poured boiling water over my arms. I was told I was allergic to magnesium. Can someone actually be allergic to magnesium ? If this is correct, could I still use a topical magnesium cream or oil ?
    Just wondering …

• Kate Tietje says

Hmm. You may be allergic to some form of magnesium, or possibly had just overdosed, basically. You might try a tiny amount of a magnesium cream to see how you react. It’s really hard to say, but magnesium *is* absolutely needed for life so I don’t know how you can actually be allergic to it in general.

23. Regina says

Hi. May I know if there is a substitute for beeswax if they are not available? Or can we just use the oils?

• Kate Tietje says

You can, but it will be a bit softer and will separate a bit. I just made it and forgot the beeswax and that’s what happened. It is still usable.

24. Susan P says

If I make this lotion, what does one do about supplements? Does anyone take supplements AND use magnesium lotion too? Thanks much.

• Kate Tietje says

I do occasionally use other supplements — an herbal multivitamin, FCLO, stuff like that. Most often I just use this. It depends on your particular needs.

25. Tracy says

Hi there! I tried this recipe but I’m not sure where I went wrong. I used an electric single beater to blend & it all seemed fine. (Only 1 blender in the house & it’s not easily washable on normal use- no way to clean with this use :() But once it cooled it separated & now I have a fantastic lotion but surrounded by water/mag oil :( How do I fix it so its mixed & useable with maximum benefit? Thanks much & I really want this now to help with headaches & sleep issues, even in the summer my skin craves lotion like this 😉

26. says

Okay, well, I actually stopped and did the math! From this website: http://www.integratedhealth.com/hpdspec/magnesium-flakes.html

I found that there are 15g of magnesium per cup of flakes. So, 15,000mg.
    If using a double-strength oil (with 1 cup of flakes) is what is used for this recipe and it makes 1/2 cup of oil (am I understanding that correctly?), and it makes about a cup and a half of lotion…
    That will put this at about 72 teaspoons of lotion, each teaspoon containing about 208mg of magnesium.

This is really helpful for me to know, as I am needing to get in 400mg a day in my iodine protocol!

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I was doing just the oil and it was burn-itching where-ever I put it after a few months of use! This lotion has never burned. It’s super thick, but I put it on my feet before I go to bed at night, put some socks on, and have excellent results!

• Jennifer says

Thanks for the calculation of dosage. I think it would be half that strength though bc only half the recipe of mag oil is used for the lotion. :)

27. Christina says

Is is possible to use apricot kernel oil instead of avocado oil? I have some of the other already on hand and was wondering if the different oil would reduce the effectiveness of the lotion?

28. Catherine Clark says

I made some mag oil and one spray made my skin itch horribly! I am low in mag so thought it would be a good thing. I sprayed the oil on my legs. It was horrible and unbearable. I had to wash it off. Will this lotion do the same thing?

29. Christina says

Is this suitable for all ages? I have three ages 12 months to 5 years who I have been wondering if I can use this on. Also, I did use the apricot oil and it worked beautifully. Thank you so much for this recipe!

30. Ashley says

I have just discovered your awesome website and I am sure I will have lots of questions. My question about this is: Do you use it on your face? I have terrible darkness under my eyes and the skin there is very thin. I have tried different oils and have also changed my diet. Nothing seems to help. Please let me know if you have any suggestions or if you would recommend the magnesium lotion there. Thank you!

• says

No, I don’t use this on my face. I usually just use oil cleansing and don’t really need a moisturizer then. Is there something you allergic to that is maybe less common? Or possibly B vitamin deficiency?

31. says

Hi,

Just found your wonderful site and am excited to learn more. My question is how so you know if you are low in magnesium?

Thanks,

Dawn

32. Jennifer says

Hi, I just wanted to say that I made this yesterday and we all love it. I couldn’t use the oil bc it burned like crazy but this is wonderful!! Also my kids wanted to use the lotion (kind of a novelty to have lotion instead of plain coconut oil lol) but I didn’t want them to have too much so I made some with plain water this morning. Also I used 1/2 Shea and 1/2 cocoa butter which worked very well and it now has a cocoa smell…yummy!! Anyways thanks for the great recipe. I love all you do.

33. Mickey says

I RECENTLY MADE MY OWN OIL BUT AM NOT LOVING THE ITCHING AND THE FEELING OF IT. I BOUGHT SOME PLAIN UNSCENTED DERMISIL LOTION AND WAS THINKING I COULD HEAT THE LOTION AND ADD IN THE FLAKES TO DISSOLVE. SEEMS MUCH EASIER THAN USING ALL OF THOSE OTHER INGREDIENTS. JUST WONDERING WHAT YOU THINK?

34. Nisa says

Made this today and it was fairly easy (I just bought the Ancient Minerals Oil already made, expensive but then I knew I wouldn’t mess it up). So far not itching. The only thing I will say is to put the lid on the blender before you begin to blend on low (and then remove the little liquid cap), it went up and out. Not fun. Thankfully my son didn’t get any on him. Lesson learned, use common sense when directions are vague. Looking forward to seeing how this works out.

35. Stephanie says

I made this last night with coconut oil and olive oil. I’ve not slept past 4:00 am in a couple months and my period is very late. I put this on my feet and then put on my socks. I slept from 8:00 last night to 7:00 this morning and my period started today too. Awesome stuff! Who knew magnesium was the problem? Thank you soooo much!

36. Ret Johnson says

I made this lotion today using mango butter (can’t use Shea butter because we have someone allergic in the house) and Flax Sees oil. It’s my understanding that Flax Seed oil is good for dry skin.

I can’t take magnesium internally right now because I can’t find a dosage that doesn’t cause very loose stools. After trying to use the magnesium oil by itself several times and my skin (especially my hands just from applying it) becoming soooo dry afterwards, I gave up on it until I found your post.

Unfortunately, I’m still experiencing a drying out of my skin after applying the lotion. Any ideas or suggestions?

• says

Hi Ret,

You may need to apply less lotion, or apply a different oil afterwards. Jojoba oil is supposed to be wonderful skin and well-absorbed, so perhaps this might help. If nothing is helping, maybe there is something else going on? Do you have dry skin normally or is this just when you apply magnesium? Also, while magnesium deficiency is really common, it doesn’t affect everyone, so maybe you don’t need it?

• Karen says

If magnesium is giving you loose stools, it’s because of the type of magnesium you are taking (magnesium citrate for example). I had the same problem until I read an article by Dr. Mercola. Try either magnesium glycinate or magnesium orotate. They actually worked better for me and no diarrhea (I actually think the magnesium glycinate worked the best). I got mine at Swanson Vitamins.

37. says

Kate, I too have burning and itching when I use just the oil – I’m going to try your recipe. How long will this keep? I will use mine quickly I’m sure, but I plan to give some to my parents and need an “expiration date”. :)

38. gretchen says

I made the lotion and it worked great . But after a couple of weeks it separated and the liquid magnesium oil separated from the other ingredients.

• Elise says

Hi, to prevent separation, first pour the oils (excl the magnesium salt water) in the blender, let them cool to room temp (they will get a light-coloured cover on top). Then switch the blender to the highest setting, and start adding the magnesium water in a thin trickle, until the blender starts “coughing” and the emulsion thickens. Pour in jars and enjoy :)

39. Melanie says

I made this and it is fantastic. I seem sensitive to shea butter so I used cocoa butter. I also added 10 drops of wild orange EO. So…now, I not only feel better and sleep better, but I want to lick my skin! haha! Seriously though, the chocolatey orange smell is amazing and I get compliments all the time on the scent. While I’m so pleased that the cocoa butter and orange is such a fantastic combo, I am WAY more pleased that I do seem to get much more restful sleep and my sons are sleeping through the night now rather than waking up 2-3 times! I had suspected a magnesium deficiency in all of us and knew this would be a good thing to try. And, the boys love getting their feet rubbed with lotion at bedtime! :) SO thankful for you sharing this!

40. Jenn says

Hi,

I have a question and I am just starting out with making my own skin care products, is it safe to use my normal every day cooking pots and blender to do this or do I need a second set? It would seem fine, but I wanted to be sure. Can’t wait to try this, so glad I found your post before buying a spray at the store I think i would have ended up with a lot of itchy skin.

41. sabrina says

I have searched high and low for magnesium flakes in my area and I can’t find any. Is there a replacement such as the gel that I can us instead?

42. marjorie says

So, the first time I shopped for ingredients I purchased Magnesium Oxide. Second trip I ended up with Magnesium Citrate and I can’t find any Magnesium Chloride locally so I think I will use these others and see how it goes. I’ve looked up all three and they seem to be quite similar… Do you happen know if these others will be less effective?

43. Karen Elizabeth says

I have a question: a friend sent me a bottle of ancient minerals transdermal magnesium oil. I love the sleeping aid effects I get from it, but it stings/ burns/ itches when putting it on. I’ve been wanting to make this lotion for quite some time now. My big question is: can I use the ancient minerals magnesium oil I already have in place of making my own?

44. Dani says

Hi, I’ve made this lotion twice now exactly as the recipe states. It works GREAT by the way, and I’m making some for my friends to try. I’ve been browsing through the comments and wondering what the shelf life would be. I’m guessing 1 year based on expiry of each individual component? But, I’ve heard that you need to include a ‘stabilizer’ to make it last longer. What would the shelf life be, as is? Thank you!

• says

Hi Dani,

At least a year. I have some that’s that old, but the oils in it are older and rancid (I’ve made new and actually need to get rid of it). Because there’s no “pure” water in this, just the magnesium water, that actually acts as a preservative, so it doesn’t need anything additional.

45. katrina says

Extremely happy to find this recipe. Made some avocado oil, since I didn’t have any, and my 5 year old helped me make the lotion. Now just waiting to cool

46. Katie Jacobson says

I have a question- your recipe above says that the Mg oil is 1 c. Mg. flakes + 1/2 c. water, and this is updated. When I went to the How To to make the oil, it still says 1c. Mg. flakes to 1 c. water. Is this just not updated? I made the oil from the other page, so mine might be diluted this time. I’m sure either works fine; from what I gather, the more concentrated oil will make it creamier next time. Thanks for all your blogs, recipes, and ideas!

• says

Hi Katie,

You can use either the regular or double strength magnesium oil, and it will work out fine, the strength will be a bit different is all. In the original recipe, I called for just 1/4 c. of mag oil, but I doubled that to 1/2 c. The actual strength of the oil shouldn’t change the feel of the lotion.

47. Stephanie says

I made this for my toddler’s growing pains, but wanted to see if anyone else had used it for young children before I put it on him. Thanks!

48. Abby says

What is the consistency supposed to be like on this? Mine is rather sticky, and can be hard to spread, maybe from the beeswax? It also sometimes burns/itches/stings (maybe it was just stupid to put it on my legs after a shower!) Do you think I could melt it down and add some coconut oil? I think it is already helping my sleep, though! I am 28 weeks pregnant, and have been rubbing it on my belly at night.

Trackbacks

1. […] By the time I got serious about it, like, I really have to do this, I had already discovered I was pregnant again.  (This was July 2012.)  I immediately knew there was no more time to waste, so I got magnesium and began using it.  First, through baths (Epsom salts, initially, and later magnesium chloride), then magnesium oil, and finally magnesium lotion. […]