Good Night Lotion

admin March 20, 2015

It was about three months ago.

It was post-holidays and my kids were starting to wake up at weird hours.  My then almost 2-year-old had been sleeping through the night for a couple months, but had started to wake 2 – 3 times a night again.  My 7-year-old was claiming she couldn’t fall asleep until after midnight (and was awake that late when I went in her room one night).  Then my 3-year-old started wandering around at 4 AM and claiming he couldn’t sleep anymore.  I knew I needed to do something, so we could all have a peaceful night’s sleep again.

I’ve been supplementing with magnesium lotion personally for a few years now.  I’ve never been consistent with the kids, though.  If they complained of growing pains, then I would put it on them, or if they were sick, but generally I didn’t.

Magnesium promotes restful sleep, so I decided to try it out.  Within 2 nights, all were sleeping through the night peacefully again.  Awesome!

We’ve been keeping up with it since (most of the time) and they have continued to sleep peacefully.  Also, they get sick less often and when they do they’re over it much faster.  It took weeks last fall for my 2-year-old to get over a cough after having a cold.  Recently it only took a couple days.  Yeah!

The only problem left was that the kids were getting riled up at bedtime, and having trouble settling down to fall asleep initially.  I decided it was time for some special “Good Night” lotion to solve that problem.

Good Night Lotion

The goal was to help the kids feel peaceful so they could fall asleep faster and easier, in addition to getting a good night’s sleep once they were out.  The magnesium would promote the solid night of sleep.  I chose lavender for the “fall asleep faster and easier” part.

Lavender is known to promote rest and relaxation.  It’s also very safe for children and babies.  Plus, many like the scent.   Lavender and magnesium combine to make a powerful good night lotion for, well…a good night, for all!

I included only plant-based oils that are edible, so this lotion is so safe, kids could eat it!  Although I wouldn’t recommend that. 🙂  This is much safer than the so-called good night lotions that come in stores (which made my poor daughter’s skin turn bright red almost instantly as a baby — one of the reasons we began to explore more natural options in the first place). It comes together very quickly and easily, too.

Ingredients:

Psst…get shea butter and beeswax for a GREAT price right here — on sale through 5/6/16!!

Directions:

Step 1: Melt the shea butter, coconut oil, and beeswax in a saucepan over low heat.

Step 2: Add the avocado oil and magnesium oil.

Step 3: Add the essential oil.

Step 4: Use an immersion blender to blend it all together until thick and opaque (or pour it into a standard blender and mix it up).

Step 5: Scoop/scrape it into a 4-oz. jar or tin.

That’s it!  Allow it to cool completely before using.  Spread a small amount on thin-skinned areas, like back of legs or bellies before bed.  Promotes restful sleep all night long!  Our first night using it, the kids fell asleep faster and all slept for nearly 11 hours before waking.  Not bad!  Good night lotion works!

How do you promote restful sleep for your family?  Have you ever tried a good night lotion?

1. I’ve been using your regular magnesium lotion on my little girl, who is almost 3, and it works so well to settle her for bed. Thank you, Kate! I’ll have to try this one when it’s time to make lotion again.

2. I’ve made your regular magnesium lotion a couple of times and our granddaughter loves it for her growing pains in her legs, but now I can’t wait to try this one for all the grandchildren. You’re doing a great job. God has certainly given you a great gift. Thank you.

3. I have all of these ingredients on hand and know that me and my family are magnesium deficient. And since the time change over here, none of us have been sleeping regularly which is unusual as we are all great sleepers. Thanks for the recipe! 🙂

4. […] Good Night Lotion @ Modern Alternative Mama […]

5. I know it was mentioned that you could use the lavender on a baby, but what about the magnesium?

6. How long do you have to mix it for? I’ve been mixing it for a while and it’s still quite liquidy.

7. I had a batch of lotion get brown and rusty looking after putting it in a metal tin. It was fine for about a week, but then you could see the discoloration start. Has this ever happened to anyone else and do you know what is happening there?

8. how old does my baby need to be before using magnesium?

9. Well, This is certainly a gift tonight! I have a similar situation where I have been using mag for some time now, but my kiddos don’t. Bless you and your gift of sharing. My 10 year old lacrosse player with ADHD has THE worst time going to sleep. He is due to go to sleep away camp next month but is highly anxious because he can’t fall asleep and if he does he always wakes through out the night. I am making this tomorrow! I am going to add cedarwood EO to my mixure as I understand it also has wonderful properties to aid in sleep. Thank you xmillion times over!

10. Can you use magnesium citrate powder for this?

11. I don’t have a blender at the moment. Will it stay mixed together without the blending process?

12. Hi Kate, I’d really like to make this. Would you use it on a baby? If not, what age would you recommend starting to use it? Thank you!

13. Can the Good Night lotion be made using something besides coconut oil. We are allergic to coconut.

14. […] “Good Night” lotion by Modern Alternative Mama. […]

15. Any need for vitamin E or some preservative to prevent bacteria growth?

16. […] space, we needed to help our children fall asleep easier.  One thing that we use regularly is this good night lotion.  Magnesium and lavender help to promote restful, healthy sleep — falling asleep easier and […]

17. […] myself, I found that once I started using magnesium lotion, I no longer had leg cramps in pregnancy at […]

18. I used different essential oils combo (my favorites .. lavender actually energizes me, so I left that out). Note to self for future reference: do NOT make this in the middle of a busy day .. right now I just want to take a nap & that’s just from the aromatherapy effects LOL! Can’t wait to try the lotion ‘officially’ at bedtime tonight 🙂

19. On the Magnesium would I be able to use “Earth Shifts Ionic Magnesium with Trace Minerals”?